• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Theoretically speaking, if Jim Kibler were to release a pistol kit, what would you like to see?

I’m thinking a British Sea Service pistol would be a hoot. Maybe even a Harper’s Ferry with correct architecture would be amazing. Or some kind of traditional American-styled Kentucky pistol.

What would YOU enjoy seeing?

Thanks gang!!

Not a Kentucky. Market already flooded with them. I'd say something pretty like a flintlock Le Page. I have two, but they're both percussion. Or if just some generic pistol type, some kind of a "pirate" pistol. Traditions (or somebody) had one but it hasn't been available for some time.

I'd like to see a Harpers Ferry. Or maybe a long barreled bear pistol. Pedersoli, I think, is the only game in town for the bear pistol and, in my opinion, it could use a bit more style. I think they call it the Bounty Hunter

.... I think they call it the Bounty Hunter
I thought about getting one of those and then thought again: it's a little too "over-the-top" and doesn't seem very historically correct, more like something to appeal to the current BP muzzleloading pistol shooter that wants something a little "over-the-top" to impress the 9mm semi-auto pistol boys at the range. I don't see it as something Jim Kibler, whose product offerings honor tradition and history, would be interested in doing. But you never know .... I might be way off base on that.

I thought about getting one of those and then thought again: it's a little too "over-the-top" and doesn't seem very historically correct, more like something to appeal to the current BP muzzleloading pistol shooter that wants something a little "over-the-top" to impress the 9mm semi-auto pistol boys at the range. I don't see it as something Jim Kibler, whose product offerings honor tradition and history, would be interested in doing. But you never know .... I might be way off base on that.
I've seen a few in my day, from the percussion era, that had like 15 inch barrels and they were never fancy. Sort of the pistol equivalent of an SMR or a barn gun. Much cooler than the Pedersoli. I thought so anyway.

Theoretically speaking, if Jim Kibler were to release a pistol kit, what would you like to see?

I’m thinking a British Sea Service pistol would be a hoot. Maybe even a Harper’s Ferry with correct architecture would be amazing. Or some kind of traditional American-styled Kentucky pistol.

What would YOU enjoy seeing?

Thanks gang!!
Anything that would be a good companion to the Woodrunner or Colonial kits !

I'd like to see a Harpers Ferry. Or maybe a long barreled bear pistol. Pedersoli, I think, is the only game in town for the bear pistol and, in my opinion, it could use a bit more style. I think they call it the Bounty Hunter
Bear pistol, new term to me, is this what your referring to ?
This original smoothbore pistol I have posted for sale has an 11" barrel, maybe I have it posted wrong ?

Attachments

• Trade Pistol photo 1.jpg
    Trade Pistol photo 1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 0
That's a nice looking pistol. I don't have any historic reference to bear pistols but have seen a few over the years. Bear pistol is what the owners called them. They are similar to the one you pictured but has 4 or 5 more inches of barrel sticking out the end of the forearm. Similar to the Pedersoli bounty hunter but without the brass. Much more historic looking than the Pedersoli.

What is a bear pistol ? A horse pistol I am familiar with .
Don't know where the term came from. I guess they were long barrels large bore pistols as a backup to the rifle in case if bear attacks. The few that I have seen had 15-16 inch barrels, .50 or bigger, and nothing fancy. Just a big utility pistol. Almost like a short rifle with no shoulder stock. I guess they may have been made with that extra long barrel to utilize a greater powder charge. Every one I've seen looked similar to the picture relic shooter posted above but with extra barrel sticking out way in front of the fore end. I've seen one in flint and a few others in percussion. Very simple guns. Kind of like the pistol version of an SMR. The folks that had them called them bear pistols so I don't know if there is any historical documentation of that name. All I know is a want one.

Don't know where the term came from. I guess they were long barrels large bore pistols as a backup to the rifle in case if bear attacks. The few that I have seen had 15-16 inch barrels, .50 or bigger, and nothing fancy. Just a big utility pistol. Almost like a short rifle with no shoulder stock. I guess they may have been made with that extra long barrel to utilize a greater powder charge. Every one I've seen looked similar to the picture relic shooter posted above but with extra barrel sticking out way in front of the fore end. I've seen one in flint and a few others in percussion. Very simple guns. Kind of like the pistol version of an SMR. The folks that had them called them bear pistols so I don't know if there is any historical documentation of that name. All I know is a want one.
Well shoot ☹️
Guess my pistol just goes back to being a frontier era big bore two-legged varmint zapper.

Latest posts

Back