• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see a Kibler pistol, and I think a lot of people would buy this kit as it would be much easier to build for people with limited experience and limited work space.

A proper Harpers Ferry would be nice, but a heavy Dragoon style flintlock handgun would be my personal choice.

Theoretically speaking, if Jim Kibler were to release a pistol kit, what would you like to see?

I’m thinking a British Sea Service pistol would be a hoot. Maybe even a Harper’s Ferry with correct architecture would be amazing. Or some kind of traditional American-styled Kentucky pistol.

What would YOU enjoy seeing?

Thanks gang!!
20 gauge flint Trade Pistol 1790-1820 era.
Octagon barrel 6 to 8 inches long.
I have an original with some deep pitting issues on the outside of the barrel out toward the muzzle. Handles well, lightweight, would be easy to carry.

Either a smooth bore early furtrade pistol.

Or a mid-century brass barreled smoothbore such as posted above. Washington had a pair of those that he carried.

We don’t ride around on horses all day, so something on the small side (for the period) that could carried in a belt or sash.

Don't know where the term came from. I guess they were long barrels large bore pistols as a backup to the rifle in case if bear attacks. The few that I have seen had 15-16 inch barrels, .50 or bigger, and nothing fancy. Just a big utility pistol. Almost like a short rifle with no shoulder stock. I guess they may have been made with that extra long barrel to utilize a greater powder charge. Every one I've seen looked similar to the picture relic shooter posted above but with extra barrel sticking out way in front of the fore end. I've seen one in flint and a few others in percussion. Very simple guns. Kind of like the pistol version of an SMR. The folks that had them called them bear pistols so I don't know if there is any historical documentation of that name. All I know is a want one.
My understanding is that they were for shooting the bear after the dogs treed it. A longer sight radius for a more accurate shot without the need to carry a rifle while chasing dogs through the woods.

Back