• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Rifles What Caliber or Gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious, if you were at a gun show, flea market, local gun shop, etc...
And there was multiple, complete Kibler rifles for sale, what caliber, smooth or rifled or what gauge would you be more likely to buy? Or other folks be more likely to buy?

SMR: .32, .36, .40, .45
Colonial: .50, .54, .58 Smooth or Rifled
Woodsrunner: .45, .50, .54
Fowler: 20ga or 16g

Thank you for any and all replies.

Take Care Stay Safe

GSML

Are you actually finding them in numbers at shows? I know plenty of folks are building them for resale, but havent been to a show in a few years to know the diff. Finding a built one, I think depends largely on the individual rifle / work put into it as much as just caliber. In the Colonial or Woodsman, I tend to go large bore to lighten up the rifle. In the SMR...well, I went big (.45 ) for the same reason...but also because in my mind the .45 is more forgiving to load than the smaller rounds, and it can be used for deer hunting in NY. But the smaller calibers...squirrels and such...all depends on the varying uses the individual buyer is wants.
Are you looking to buy, or build to sell, I think is the question to be asked....

Totally depends on what you are going to use it for.
SMR .32 for squirrels and small game. 40 or 45 for larger and targets
Colonial, very heavy, so .58 for large game.
Woodsrunner, .50 for target and .54 for hunting
Fowler, .20 ga for all around, 16 for birds, turkey.
You're correct, usage is a big factor.
Thanks

SMR in .45 is my next one, I love the Colonial I have in .54 but it's a little heavy for my busted shoulder to be hiking around in the woods shooting offhand. As much as I hate to admit that I cant physically do it, I'll toot my own horn that my morals are taking precedence over my pride and an innocent animal won't run off wounded because I made a shaky shot. It's a freaking beast of a bench rifle though.

I'm hoping to sell it before friendship and maybe I'll run into Mr. Kibler if he has a booth there and pick up an SMR kit.

Are you actually finding them in numbers at shows? I know plenty of folks are building them for resale, but havent been to a show in a few years to know the diff. Finding a built one, I think depends largely on the individual rifle / work put into it as much as just caliber. In the Colonial or Woodsman, I tend to go large bore to lighten up the rifle. In the SMR...well, I went big (.45 ) for the same reason...but also because in my mind the .45 is more forgiving to load than the smaller rounds, and it can be used for deer hunting in NY. But the smaller calibers...squirrels and such...all depends on the varying uses the individual buyer is wants.
Are you looking to buy, or build to sell, I think is the question to be asked....
I have saw a couple here and there.
Also a fella at the Alifia River Rondevous had several for sale.
Its mostly just out of curiosity. I was looking at Kibler's web site and saw the different calibers. Thought id just ask.
I own 2 Kibler Rifles
SMR .32
Colonial .58 smoothbore.

Thanks for posting.

SMR in .45 is my next one, I love the Colonial I have in .54 but it's a little heavy for my busted shoulder to be hiking around in the woods shooting offhand. As much as I hate to admit that I cant physically do it, I'll toot my own horn that my morals are taking precedence over my pride and an innocent animal won't run off wounded because I made a shaky shot. It's a freaking beast of a bench rifle though.

I'm hoping to sell it before friendship and maybe I'll run into Mr. Kibler if he has a booth there and pick up an SMR kit.
My shoulder gives me the blues too.
I'm still able to shoulder the Colonial, big difference between it and the SMR.
I hope ya get your SMR

Thanks for the post.

I'm curious, if you were at a gun show, flea market, local gun shop, etc...
And there was multiple, complete Kibler rifles for sale, what caliber, smooth or rifled or what gauge would you be more likely to buy? Or other folks be more likely to buy?

SMR: .32, .36, .40, .45
Colonial: .50, .54, .58 Smooth or Rifled
Woodsrunner: .45, .50, .54
Fowler: 20ga or 16g

Thank you for any and all replies.

Take Care Stay Safe

GSML
Why don't you call Bree at Kibler's and ask her what the biggest seller is among their offerings.

Back