• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KIBLER WOODRUNNER TALL SITE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
I see that Kibler has on their site and tall rear site and a rear standard site.. Why would you use a tall rear site... Sorry for my question.. still new to the BP / flintlock world

Just my opinion......

The normal sight is pretty much just for the folks that build a rifle just for looking at. They are really close to the barrel which causes problems once the barrel gets hot. The tall sight works much better for the folks that do a lot of shooting

With the original front sight, most shot about 8 inches low at 50 yards, Jim came out with a taller rear sight to remedy this. I left mine alone, just filed down the front sight so it hits about an inch high at 50 yards.

I started with the stock sights, after finding my best load and filing down the front sight to align POI with POA I had only a small nubbin of a front sight left.

Now admittedly a lot of original long rifles have very small front sights, but my old eyes struggled with it so I replaced them both with the taller sights and started over, could not be happier with the result.

I also put taller sights on my Colonial. Pretty much had nothing left of the front blade with stock rear to get POI where I wanted it. I prefer a higher sighting line to get my bony cheek off the comb a little bit.

I changed out the sights on my SMR for taller front and rear sights. Not from Kibler (not available at that time). But gives more to work with for elevation adjustment, in my experience.

The low sights are for the HC crowd. Most who shoot in competition will use higher sights to deal with the distortion when the barrel heats up. Personally I like the taller sight as others pointed out. Easier to adjust, with some practice you can use the taller front sight to adjust POA for different ranges and gets my cheek up off the comb.

Back