• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Have any of you ordered a percussion SMR
from kibler? Or do you have to convert. I really would rather get the percussion.
I already have a 32 flint but want a Kibler 32 in percussion. I will call them tomorrow if they are open And I will have to send my barrel back to Track of wolf.
I decided to get a Kibler kit after ck the price with the discount. Only other thing that could turn me off depends on wait time.

Last edited:
Have any of you ordered a percussion SMR
from kibler? Or do you have to convert. I really would rather get the percussion.
I already have a 32 flint but want a Kibler 32 in percussion. I will call them tomorrow if they are open And I will have to send my barrel back to Track of wolf
They only make great flint locks strike 3

I got flamed for mentioning this before but there are some gun makers who will not make percussion rifles at all for liability reasons.

As TDM wrote Kibler makes flintlocks only. Jim sometimes has kits available to buy at a slight discount for cosmetic reasons. There are a few builders offering custom percussion but the cost will be more than a kit.

Do what,,, seems like flint would be closer to a liability.
What liability is a percussion.
With a percussion arm there is a brief moment (usually) when the hammer effectively seals off the barrel before the metal debris from the cap flies away, creating a hazard (pressure spike) if the ball is short started or the barrel has an obstruction.

This was known in the old days and was the reason quality guns of the time had blow out plugs near the nipple, often of gold or platinum that would let go if things went wrong and hopefully prevent the barrel from bursting. It is also the real reason (not the Dixie Gun Works Catalog reason) for gunsmiths back then to put a little tiny vent hole in the drum.

Flintlocks have a touch hole that remains open and can act as a vent should there be a pressure spike if things go wrong which is why some feel the way they do about certain rifles.

If they were gonna blow up from a pressure spike, it would happen all the time. It doesn’t.

That’s like those dorks who say the load will go off when loading by “dieseling” the ball. It doesn’t work that way. It’s like goobers at the range going “those guns are so unsafe”.

If they were gonna blow up from a pressure spike, it would happen all the time. It doesn’t.

That’s like those dorks who say the load will go off when loading by “dieseling” the ball. It doesn’t work that way. It’s like goobers at the range going “those guns are so unsafe”.
Anyone who has ever used a fire piston knows you won't be seating a ball anywhere near as hard as what is needed to cause dieseling!

I think you missed the part that said "if the ball is short started or the barrel has an obstruction"....

I’m curious if they do have a Hawkin rifle in the works, if he would make it percussion 🤔

I'm just passing on unattributed, unverified and unlikely info but there's supposed to be a Hawken and/or fowler next.

Now, if a Hawken flinter it just seems like it might be a full stock.

Latest posts

Back