• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kiblers Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone had any issues with the Woodsrunner lock shattering flints ? A friend of mine and myself each have one . And we both are having issues with the lock.
My friend has tried contacting Jim but has had no response. We shoot alot and build some of our own rifles so its not like we are new to all this. We have had some builders look at the locks and they have some opinions. But I don't wish to make there opinions public . All in all I think the Kibler rifles are of very good quality .

I've had chunks break off one side or the other on my Woodsrunner and Southern Mountain sometimes even when they are lined up perfectly, they get shot a lot in matches. I always use the black english flints. Usually I take the damaged flints and use them in my trade gun, it will eat just about any odd shaped flint.

Most of the time I can make adjustments by going bevel up or down. Shimming with leather is an option. The main spring is heavy and maybe working it some would help. The cock just is not hitting the frizzen properly.
I had hoped that there had been other issues, and an easier answer to our problem. I'm pretty sure I know what has to be done.
Thank you

The main spring is heavy and maybe working it some would help. The cock just is not hitting the frizzen properly.
No offense intended, but what kind of experience do you have building and tuning locks?

Take some clear detailed photographs and have a talk with Kibler. They stand behind their products if there is an issue.

I remember a post from not too long ago that someone questioned whether the angle of the cock in relation to the frizzen was off on a Kibler and Jim himself replied to the thread and said to send it back. Maybe you have a similar issue. I agree with @SDSmlf, get some good pics and ask Jim. I've only have experience with 1 Kibler lock so far and it is the best lock I own.

I have the same lock in my colonial.
Timing and angle ( geometry) is impotent.
I use the flint thick side down seems to be best

I have not had any trouble with the Colonial lock on my Woodsrunner, but I and a few of the guys I shoot with have had trouble with the Kibler locks on our Southern mountain guns. I gave mine to Brad Emig to work on and he twisted and changed the angle of the hammer so the flint strikes the frizzen more squarly and at the proper angle. I have had no broken flints since then. Two of the others I shoot with also sent their Kibbler SM locks to Brad since then and have not had any problems since doing so.

I have built two woods runners and one Colonial. They have all broken the supplied flints within the first two hammer falls. I have sold all three guns so will say I haven't followed up on this. I never fire these guns before I sell them.I make a wooden flint for testing the lock and operation of the gun.

One of the keys I've found is to use properly sized flints. If we use thinner or smaller flints in the big Colonial they can tend to break given the lock's power. I'm sue we've sent some locks with these flints given how hard flints are to come by for us.

As for the Ketland lock, I've not had many problems with flint breakage. Not sure what to think. If you have trouble, we would be happy to look at things.

I did go to a larger flint that has produced better results. Point taken on weakening the spring . Getting ready to go on a elk hunt in September with it so any suggestions other than what you already made would be greatly appreciated.
And thanks for your response ! P.S. I worry about turn-around time ,so I'm not sure about sending it back until I return .Your thoughts ?
I also have thought of ordering another lock just has a spare, having one between two of us just in case

I’ve fired around 75 rounds with the flint that came in my Colonial. One time it did not ignite and a slight touch up on the edge and back in business. Maybe I got lucky, who knows.

I’ve fired around 75 rounds with the flint that came in my Colonial. One time it did not ignite and a slight touch up on the edge and back in business. Maybe I got lucky, who knows.
Same here. One each Colonial, Woodsrunner, and a SMR and no issues whatsoever with no idea how many shots are on the flints. Will say the one that came with the Colonial must have been one of the ones Mr. Jim mentioned but wasn't an issue as I just stuck a better one in it before I got started shootin.

This reminds me. I've shot the latter two several times this year but have yet to settle on loads and make the final sight adjustments.

Rebounding frizzen on my Kolonial will break every flint within 3 strikes.

Solution is to extend the top portion of jaw leather out onto the flint slightly. This cushions the rebound so that the frizzen heel no longer breaks the Flints.

Back