• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kids under 12 hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen kids at the gun club and out with there dads Pheasant..

I was have wondered what the minimum age to bring a kid is? Not hunt.. just to bring along.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902_171757_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240902_171757_Google.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240902_171721_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240902_171721_Google.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240902_171912_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240902_171912_Google.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 0
Yea she's 6.. she's been around it and came for Pheasant a couple times.. watched me get one good.

My son No. He's a no. He is not really interested either..

she asks things like the.... when I'm older..... I need a real gun can I have a real gun to go hunting. So she's thinking about it.

I'll take her more this year..
we got her a cell phone hunt cloths boots pink knife backpack orange.. She's going to be right with me the whole time but still.

thinking ground blind deer.

Clinical fact that children do not have the maturity to responsibly handle guns until late teens. As "mature" as some may seem, their brains are still developing and "mature" they are not. By definition.

I knew a "very mature" 15 year old kid who, at a deer hunting camp, was cleaning his "cleared and unloaded" rifle at the end of the day. In a act of spontaneity that even he doesn't understand, he put the "cleared and unloaded" rifle to his heart and pulled the trigger. Just for "fun." The rifle had a round in the chamber. It was a miracle that he survived a point-blank 30-06 shot to the chest.

This is the problem with giving kids firearms. The act out spontaneously and without logic. It's what their developing brains do, and no amount of parenting can change that. Naturally, every parent will tell you otherwise. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Just to go along, not hunt? I don't think there is a wrong age, as long as they show interest. Of course need to keep it within their physical capabilities, don't want to scare them off of doing something with you that seems too hard. Another thing to consider is how long it'll take, I found with my kid, even though he was all in at an early age, still wasn't into the all day hunts but was good and interested in the 3-4hr hunts.

Not only depends on the youngster, but on the adults. Ours started going with us during deer season during those times when we weren't "hunting hard" (mid-day, after most tags were filled, etc.) more on walks than expecting to shoot something at about age three-four. As they aged, became enthusiastic about shooting/hunting/ safety, actual hunting was natural.

Son had his own .45 percussion rifle at age eight. Grand daughter shot her first buck at age six. If the adults don't enjoy hunting with kids (and all that is required), NO ONE WILL HAVE FUN. Same with fishing ...only different stuff. Decades ago, I ceased to care if I killed anything at all. My fun was helping kids have an enjoyable "adventure". Carried a lot of interesting things they found - rocks, snake skins, walnuts, deer horns, etc. in my empty game bag. Still have the memories.

At the range I usually shoot at kids under 16 need adult supervision and no kids under 7 are allowed to shoot (though they can be there if with an adult). Usual eye and ear protection required, and just this last weekend there was a young kid wearing electronic muffs that I swear were larger than his head. They need to make those things in pint-size for young kids. Do they? Dunno.

I get a real kick out of watching dad or granddad (or mom or grandma -- let's not be sexist here!!) with a young kid teaching them how to shoot. And to be quite honest, I've watched some pretty young kids shoot who were better than me. Girls, too!! Hah!!

At the range I usually shoot at kids under 16 need adult supervision and no kids under 7 are allowed to shoot (though they can be there if with an adult). Usual eye and ear protection required, and just this last weekend there was a young kid wearing electronic muffs that I swear were larger than his head. They need to make those things in pint-size for young kids. Do they? Dunno.

I get a real kick out of watching dad or granddad (or mom or grandma -- let's not be sexist here!!) with a young kid teaching them how to shoot. And to be quite honest, I've watched some pretty young kids shoot who were better than me. Girls, too!! Hah!!
do you field dress them there or at home?🤣🤣🤣

Clinical fact that children do not have the maturity to responsibly handle guns until late teens. As "mature" as some may seem, their brains are still developing and "mature" they are not. By definition.

I knew a "very mature" 15 year old kid who, at a deer hunting camp, was cleaning his "cleared and unloaded" rifle at the end of the day. In a act of spontaneity that even he doesn't understand, he put the "cleared and unloaded" rifle to his heart and pulled the trigger. Just for "fun." The rifle had a round in the chamber. It was a miracle that he survived a point-blank 30-06 shot to the chest.

This is the problem with giving kids firearms. The act out spontaneously and without logic. It's what their developing brains do, and no amount of parenting can change that. Naturally, every parent will tell you otherwise. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

I think it is all about where and how they are raised….. My oldest grandson was pretty much raised here on my hunting ranch. If you ask to see his rifle, 100% of the time he will open the bolt and say”I see clear” before he hands it to you. He is 17 but was thought to do it when he was very young. I doubt he even remembers being taught to do it, he does it without even thinking about it.

I think it is all about where and how they are raised…..
It is most certainly NOT

Parents cannot speed up a child's biological brain development. No matter how they are taught, they still have the brains of children, and they still make spontaneous poor choices. It's what children do, and no amount of parenting can change that.

Some of the worry My worry about it is these schools a teacher people.

You know? Like a DCF problem.

It's more the age they just don't know about that and people. like don't tell the teacher you went hunting maybe..

It is most certainly NOT

Parents cannot speed up a child's biological brain development. No matter how they are taught, they still have the brains of children, and they still make spontaneous poor choices. It's what children do, and no amount of parenting can change that.
I guess I have just been lucky with the three sons I raised, my 6 grandkids and the youth hunt we put on every year.

If you are not taking kids hunting you are missing out on one of life’s greatest pleasures

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I took my son to hang a stand one day.

He complained the whole way.. then he yelled at me when we started going down hill. I was like WHAT?.. he yells don't go down that hill NO because then we have to walk back up that hill No.. I was like yea that's where deer are were going fighting back and forth with him about going down that hill.

I got two deer that year I had to drag up that hill.. all I could think was him yelling at me about that hill.

It's fun.

My daughter it was fun when I took her to hang the stand.

UnLike my son.. he new exactly how to get back to the truck. That he new. That was funny too.

My daughter it was fun the whole way she had fun... I told her to bring us back. Nope. she was lost.

Back