• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kids under 12 hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 43, started going deer hunting with my dad at 6 or 7. Got a red rider around that age and my dad let me take it along. I wasn't even strong enough to cock the thing! Shot a lot of birds in the back yard growing up. My papaw gave me his Winchester single shot 22 that he bought new on my 10th bday. My dad would take me out to shoot it and go squirrel hunting. Was around 12 or 13 when I got my Mossberg 500, still have it. Saved some money and got a Savage 110 .270 when I was 15. I was very responsible and mature fory age. One the other hand, my 3 years younger brother was not and still isn't. No way I would let any of my nieces or nephew handle a firearm like I did as a kid. They are more mature in certain ways than I was, but not very responsible or safe.

my 5 kids were all given a CVA frontier kit for christmas about the time they turned 6-7 they had been going to the deer stand with me since they were old enough to walk without being carried my youngest carried his "blankie" before we had stands. I would lay a ground tarp on the ground and he would curl up and take a nap when the deer started moving I'd wake him up. all of the kids got their first of many deer with the muzzleloader that they built they didn't get to hunt with a centerfire until they graduated high school by that time they knew the laws and the rules that anybody that wants to hunt on our paradise has to follow. now the youngest is 34 3 of the 5 will shoot with me at a muzzleloader shoot most of the time. last year my grandson was sitting with his mother for the first time and a basket 6 came out on them and he begged for her to shoot it so she did , she said later it didn't matter that she got the smallest buck trophy that has to be displayed on her desk for all to see she was proud to have the memory with her son. several of the grandkids have shot deer before they were 10 which is when the state says they are old enough to hunt
OK, new to me; what's a basket six???

It is most certainly NOT

Parents cannot speed up a child's biological brain development. No matter how they are taught, they still have the brains of children, and they still make spontaneous poor choices. It's what children do, and no amount of parenting can change that.
Completely disagree. It is all about how they are raised. It is our generation and our parents generation’s fault for the way kids behave today. They have grown up to KNOW that there are no consequences for decisions they make. Example, 40 years ago you never heard of a kid grabbing dad’s gun and going on a shooting spree. There was no such thing as a gun safe in those days. Kids were raised that they DAMN well better not do certain things because they had a healthy fear of their parents and the consequences that the parents would inflict. It started at birth and continued until the child moved out on their own. Where I grew up kids hunted birds and rabbits with 22’s and shotguns unsupervised when 9-10 years old. We were drilled with gun safety from a young age. We knew what was right and we knew the consequences for wrong. Wake up people and stop making excuses for our youth today. Stop being their friend and be a parent….they will respect you more for it in the end.

I am ignorant of the three letter statement mentioned. What does DFC problem allude to?
I don't know what you mean.. dcf..

Division family's children..

To keep it short....

They get a call and they show up. Even if it's all nothing.
They try to open a case..
They want in your house
Don't sign anything.
They wait week s to get back to you.
Takes months for them to call and say bye there is no case.

First time my pop took me hunting I was about 7 I think. I was just to watch and keep quiet. I got the watching down pat, but the keep quiet...not so much.
We ended up eating hamburgers that year. We did get literally jumped by a deer. We were stalking some tracks that were pretty fresh and a buck came running through and jumped right over our heads to the other side of the trail. By the time dad had his rifle to shoulder Bambi was gone. Only deer we saw that year.

Never got to go hunting with him where I also got to carry a rifle. He didn't trust a gun in a child's hand outside of the range. I resented it at the time but probably the wiser course of action. By the time I got old enough to hunt with him, he was pretty banged up and we lived in a city by then so hunting was off the table.

I think children should be taken hunting.

I started taking my kids as soon as they were out of diapers, they were doing the shooting by the time they were 6.
There is nothing I am more proud of than the things I have been able to share and teach to my grandson. Started hunting at 4, shooting at 6. I am old and might die any old time but I have no doubt the things I have taught my grandson will serve him well his whole life.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Just resting a gun loaded on a vehicle on the hood tailgate etc.. in I think allot of states is a fish and game violation.
This incident was at least 72 years ago.
A law would not have prevented it, any more than the tremendous in crease of laws today prevents anything.
I was making a point based on the statement of another sbout young peoples minds not being fully cognative at certain ages.
This was a gentleman I dearly loved and it was painfull that he did such a stupid thing , not ignorant.
More than 60,ooo people die yearly in mostly preventable motor vehicle crashes that for some reason called accidents.
every time I drive I see stupid entitled driving behavior , it is impossible to drive near the speed limit on any roadway anymore awith out some one raging at you.
There are no big news reports or outrage as brainwashing tells us only fire arms are dangerous and loudly proclaimed so.

Blitz

my 5 kids were all given a CVA frontier kit for christmas about the time they turned 6-7 they had been going to the deer stand with me since they were old enough to walk without being carried my youngest carried his "blankie" before we had stands. I would lay a ground tarp on the ground and he would curl up and take a nap when the deer started moving I'd wake him up. all of the kids got their first of many deer with the muzzleloader that they built they didn't get to hunt with a centerfire until they graduated high school by that time they knew the laws and the rules that anybody that wants to hunt on our paradise has to follow. now the youngest is 34 3 of the 5 will shoot with me at a muzzleloader shoot most of the time. last year my grandson was sitting with his mother for the first time and a basket 6 came out on them and he begged for her to shoot it so she did , she said later it didn't matter that she got the smallest buck trophy that has to be displayed on her desk for all to see she was proud to have the memory with her son. several of the grandkids have shot deer before they were 10 which is when the state says they are old enough to hunt
Great story...I have two grandsons that shoot muzzleloaders with me at our local rendezvous... It's all about the young ...

Clinical fact that children do not have the maturity to responsibly handle guns until late teens. As "mature" as some may seem, their brains are still developing and "mature" they are not. By definition.

I knew a "very mature" 15 year old kid who, at a deer hunting camp, was cleaning his "cleared and unloaded" rifle at the end of the day. In a act of spontaneity that even he doesn't understand, he put the "cleared and unloaded" rifle to his heart and pulled the trigger. Just for "fun." The rifle had a round in the chamber. It was a miracle that he survived a point-blank 30-06 shot to the chest.

This is the problem with giving kids firearms. The act out spontaneously and without logic. It's what their developing brains do, and no amount of parenting can change that. Naturally, every parent will tell you otherwise. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Horse feathers , I started @10 yrs old with a NJ permit stating I had to hunt with a license holder at least 21 yrs of age . As dad worked during the week my mom got the license and drove down the street to some property I could hunt . She sat in the 56 chevy wagon and read the papers , since my dad hunted with me she trusted me to small game hunt on my own . Without that (guidance ) I would have spent my life at a YMCA !!! PS I'm now 75 and still kill stuff with a bow but eat regular with muzzle loaders!/Ed

I was 6 yrs. old when I was handed my first Daisy BB gun. First thing that happened to it was the plastic butt stock broke . Dear old Dad was working three jobs , since the coal mines were shut down , so we didn't loose our house , and wasn't interested in helping me fix a plastic stock. I was on my own. I looked around Dad's auto garage , and in a dusty corner found a disgarded walnut butt stock from a Winchester lever action rifle. Asked Dad if I could have it , and he said , ok. Asked him how to marry the walnut stock to the sheet metal sides of the BB rifle. He said file the wood down until the stock could be inserted into the BB gun's action , and put a bolt through it , and he left for work again. So , I had never filed anything in my life , but had watched him file something , and knew what a file was. In the garage there was a "four in hand" wood rasp , and rasped the Winchester stock until it could be inserted in the BB gun stock. Drilled a hole through the wood using the existing matching holes in the BB rifle's action , and found a 3/16 th inch stove bolt with a square nut that fit. I couldn't believe I fixed it myself. I showed it to Dad between him going to work , and he laughed , and shook his head. That was the first gunstock I worked on. The gun's internal mechanism was completely destroyed from shooting it in about two yrs.. My neighbor kid I grew up with had a Daisy rifle too , so all we did was shoot all day for entertainment. When we were out of ammo , we jumped on our bikes and went a mile to town to the candy store , where the lady sold us BB's. We never shot any windows , other people or anything besides snakes. We were told what we could do , and had enough respect for our family , we obeyed the rules. In those days , Greene Co. , Pa. had one constable , and two State Policemen , and one Game Warden. Every body knew everybody , and their business as well. Rules were rules.
Darn good people in Greene County!!!!

Completely disagree. It is all about how they are raised. It is our generation and our parents generation’s fault for the way kids behave today. They have grown up to KNOW that there are no consequences for decisions they make. Example, 40 years ago you never heard of a kid grabbing dad’s gun and going on a shooting spree. There was no such thing as a gun safe in those days. Kids were raised that they DAMN well better not do certain things because they had a healthy fear of their parents and the consequences that the parents would inflict. It started at birth and continued until the child moved out on their own. Where I grew up kids hunted birds and rabbits with 22’s and shotguns unsupervised when 9-10 years old. We were drilled with gun safety from a young age. We knew what was right and we knew the consequences for wrong. Wake up people and stop making excuses for our youth today. Stop being their friend and be a parent….they will respect you more for it in the end.
Well said.
Thank you.

NRA "YHEC" program - Youth Hunter Education Challenge - eight events. Written hunter safety exam, practical hunter safety course, map/compass course, .22 rifle competition, shotgun competition, 3-d archery course, wildlife i.d., and ...muzzle loading rifle competition. Youth 8-18 compete state championships to international championship. I helped coach my son's team multiple years. His team won the Missouri championships, then the International Championship.

Tens of thousands of kids master the events each year. SAFETY is paramount in all events. The students know their stuff. Whether or not some will make mistakes at some point while hunting is, of course, an individual matter of maturity and situation. Having taught combat pistol, combat shotgun, basic marksmanship , and firearms safety to Sheriff's Academy cadets for over 25 years, I know the topic. Much safer on a shotgun range with YHEC kids than many "adults".

BTW - thanks to mandatory hunter safety education, firearms hunting injuries are a tiny fraction of what they were before it's inception. Youngster much more apt to kill or be killed driving a vehicle than carrying a firearm in the hunting woods.

TAKE YOUR BOY HUNTING INSTEAD OF HUNTING YOUR BOY !!

Back