• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KIK powder review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We finally got a chance to get to the range for a few minutes this morning and as luck would have it, my order of KIK powder came in yesterday so it was a good chance to try it out. Unfortunately we were pressed for time as my uncle had to work this morning too. But as brief as the outing was, we were happy with what we saw.

He got to know "Sue" and pretty much like those before him the gun shot just about the same. We knew it was shooting,
2" high at 25 yards
3" high at 50 yards
3.5" high at 75 yards
Right on at 100 yards
7" low at 125 yards

I handed him a can of 2FF KIK and told him to load 100gr's, I made a bunch of .020 pillow ticking patches last night and lubed them with my bear grease mix and he had home cast .600 balls.
DSCF3503.JPG

Heres his first target, first thing when walking back from setting the target up at 50 yards, he complained about old eyes not being able to see the target. :haha: Yeah, I know all about it...
DSCF3508.JPG

Not sure what was with the first shot, he said it felt good. The next four were just about 2 1/2" higher than point of aim. Not to bad for someone having a hard time with open sights. He'll be looking at a 18 to 20 yard shot on the bear hunt so hes all set anyways.
I asked him what he thought about how dirty the powder was and he thought it was about the same as Graf maybe a little dirtier but not to bad.

Vid of first shot, http://www.nimrodsplace.com/video/00067.wmv

I played with my .36 while he slow danced with Sue.
DSCF3506.JPG

I tried KIK 3F and in my custom measure Scobrien made me it throws 31.2 gr's, RC home brewed .350 balls with .018 pillow ticking lubed with bear grease. I was way high at first and off paper at 25 yards but I could keep 3 shots in an 1 1/4" group no problem, I just had to work on the sights to bring it down. Best group was on the card board. :haha: Then you see two together on the top edge, then two 1 1/4" a part, one, then two at the top of the diamond, then it was time to go which sucked, I would of liked another hour or so at least as I need to shoot this gun. It is showing promise though and I'll file the rear sight down a bit next time we go.
DSCF3507.JPG

I didn't find any difference in the powder dirty wise. If anything it seemed to be a drier flakier fouling compared to what I'm used to with Graf. :idunno: I only ran a dry patch between shots and it loaded without any difficulty

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not shoot for grouping when I tested my order of KIK. But I did run some groups over a chrony and found less deviation in velocity than with Geox. And the powder was as clean or even cleaner than the Geox!

Yeah I wish I had more time to play but we were just pressed for time. It will work, just gotta get rid of the operator error.

Huntin Dawg said:
BrownBear said:
You've got my attention! Maybe KIK has changed their process?

How do we get an order of powder up here BB?

HD

If you're on the road system you can evidently get it shipped up by Lynden. I'm on the rock, and ended up having mine brought up from the west coast on a boat. Otherwise, it's Great Northern Guns in Anchorage or Two Rivers from up around Fairbanks.

BrownBear said:
Huntin Dawg said:
BrownBear said:

HD

If you're on the road system you can evidently get it shipped up by Lynden. I'm on the rock, and ended up having mine brought up from the west coast on a boat. Otherwise, it's Great Northern Guns in Anchorage or Two Rivers from up around Fairbanks.

Mountain View Sports has it too I believe but do any of those guys carry Kik?

I miss having UPS drop it on my front porch.

I still have about 9-10 pounds in my stash of Goex so hopefully it will last me a couple years. I don't get out and shoot much any more.

I've been interested in Kik powder but never had the chance to try it.

Thanks for all the info in this thread!

HD

I was mixing apples and oranges on Two Rivers Trading Company. It's actually Norwest Company in Two Rivers out on the Chena, but sad to say their link appears dead.

Haven't tried Mt View, but unless I'm mistaken Great Northern has Kik. Or at least they did when I was there last fall. I don't get to the big city more than once or twice a year.

If you're like me tho, you start getting twitchy when the supply drops below 10 pounds. Just too danged hard to get it.

About a week in busy months. More than once I've gone through 25 pounds in under a year. I was just cleaning and inventorying last night, and between my wife and I we have 29 muzzleloading rifles right now, without counting the handguns and shotguns.

And the range is just a quarter mile down the road. We sometimes shoot twice a day when the mood strikes, though I shoot more than she does. That total of guns includes six 58 calibers, five 54 calibers, three 62 calibers, two 12 gauges and a 75 caliber that all use lots more than 70 grains of powder.

I keep telling my wife it's a good thing we don't shoot all that much. Kinda helps her frame of mind if she comes close to believing me! :rotf:

BrownBear said:
Capper said:
25 lbs a year. 10lbs a week??

:rotf:

Been a while since you've done any math, eh? :applause:

Whoa! Hang on buddy. You said you had 10lbs left. I asked how long it would take you to shoot that.

You said about a week. Then you said you shoot a case in a little under a year.

Where is my math wrong? :idunno:

Well, that was unexpected. I thought we were friends?

I'm still not sure what I said that would make you want to ignore me?

Then again I can't understand why anybody would ignore me? I could never do that with anybody. I face problems head on.

I've never seen so many sensitive personalities. :shake:

Seems to me to be a misunderstanding here. BB did say "busy months", not all months are busy the way I understand that. Been there myself, burned through a few lbs in a week before then nothing for a month or so.

Yes, but he said a week in busy months. I burn a lot of powder, but 10 lbs in a week?

I didn't think any of the conversation was serious. Just making conversation.

He seemed to have a pretty short fuse towards me.

Going to live in the mountains with my dog might be a good idea after all.

BTW there is a difference in charge weights between powders. My measure throws avg of 3 measures,
31.2 gr of KIK 3F
36.2 gr of Graf 3 F
38.1 gr of Swiss 3 F

I don't have any 3F Goex left just 2F so couldn't see what that was. Guess I need to have a shoot out with all three of these powders and decide then which I want to use in this .36 and then regulate the sights to that powder.

Huntin Dawg said:
BrownBear said:
Huntin Dawg said:
BrownBear said:

HD

Mountain View Sports has it too I believe but do any of those guys carry Kik?

I miss having UPS drop it on my front porch.

I still have about 9-10 pounds in my stash of Goex so hopefully it will last me a couple years. I don't get out and shoot much any more.

I've been interested in Kik powder but never had the chance to try it.

Thanks for all the info in this thread!

HD

Maybe when PFD's come out we can arrange a group buy on some powder.

I was at Great Northern Guns last week and Goex is what they had in stock. I did not ask about other brands so I am not sure if they offer anything else.

Latest posts

Back