• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kit build finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike56

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello,
New here. Had a few TC Hawkins in the past. aquired a mint TC Cherokee in .36 and it felt great. Got a good offer and sold it, but I'd like to build something similiar.
I'm thinking of a Ohio rifle kit from Pecatonica River, in .36.

Can the barrel/breech plug and trigger guard be blued instead of the browning solutions I'm seeing? Not sure what it would cost to send out.

Sure....Birchwood Casey makes a good bluing that can be done easily at home.
I wiped mine down with alcohol and placed it in the oven to get it warm (about 180 or so).
Then applied the bluing.....Works great!!
There is also a bluing pen that can be used to touch up around the nipple after shooting.

I'm really partial to rust bluing rather than chemical cold blues like Birchwood Casey. You get much smoother results that are lots longer lasting than even hot dip blues. The same LMF browning solution is used for rust bluing. It's lots easier to get good results. See for yourself. Directions are here. Scroll half way down the page.

I rust blued a action & barrel for a .308,it was really looking good till I oiled it,Ishould have given it some time instead of oiling it right after the last boil& I need to redo it .
It is a nice finnish & I would not hesitate to do it on another project.
I also used LMF,it took about 6 rust & boils

Make that Brown Bear +3
The rust blue lasts and has a nice look, it is easy.
Those bottled blue solutions are jsut copper sulfate (ithink) I know it's a copper something,,that reacts with the iron in the barrel to give a blue shade,
Old trick taught to me years ago,if an old gun looks realy nice ,take a wiff of the barrel,, if it smells like a penny it's just cover-up blueing that will wear off pretty darn soon.

Mike56:

Not to break from the crowd, but I have used Lee Express Blue and it produces a super hard blue/black rust finish. Was really happy with the results. Used a pvc pipe for the scalding tank.

Mike F

Back