• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greymount

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am currently interested in purchasing a kit such as an early Lancaster, Issac Haines, Dickert or a Vincent Ohio rifle. My experience consist of building and finishing several Pedersoli kits that were all pre-drilled and required only some minor shaping. What style of rifle would be good for my experience. Whould I be better off with a traditional longrifle or a halfstock rifle such as a Vincent.

Hi Greymount,

I just finished an Issac Haines, I had only ever put together one of the traditions pistol kits...And since you said you were looking at a kit I am assuming you mean a precarve, I would not start right out with a blank. I would get whichever of those guns appeals to you... personally I love the longrifles and the swamped barrels(which is why I did this to begin with lol) and I also like the lancaster look...It took me quite awhile to do it, because I was learning some of the skills as I went along.. I think the key is to go slow, get the book "the art of building the pennsylvania longrifle", and come here and ask all your questions...I dont know how your set up for woodworking tools.. but it takes quite a few, and the metal work takes different tools as well..It was alot of fun to do.. and I am looking forward to the next project..

That first shot will just about bring tears to your eyes.. its one of the neatest feelings I have had...
I went out a couple of weeks ago and sighted her in and just this last weekend, took her out on the first trail walk, it was awesome...first time out shooting her and I got one of the best scores I have ever had...now mind you I dont worry to much about scores.. I get more of a thrill out of the ting when the target is hit... or when the target spins silly because you got a good solid hit...

one more tip.. dont work on it if: your mad, tired, overly stressed, well you get the point.. things start happening that shouldnt oughta happen ::
Whichever you decide I hope you have as good of a time as I did with mine.... :)

I asked much the same question about three weeks ago and got about 17 really thoughtful and useful replies. I am new and I don't know if and how you can retreive the older posts. But if you can and if someone on the forum can tell you how to retrieve messages that are no longer listed , you couldn't do better than to review the excellent comments I got.
It was under the subject "building a longrifle" .

Latest posts

Back