• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knap Flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone here knap their own flints for their muzzleloader. It's something I would love to get into. I have a friend that owns a flintknapping supply business, so I have easy access to materials and building tools. Any videos or tutorials out there to get someone started?

There’s a number of youtube videos on Flint knapping. I’ve copied some of the tools, bought flint nodes and chert. Busted them up and made a big mess a number of times trying. I had very limited success, but I didn’t stick with long enough to really learn anything. There is both art and science to it and with enough practice you’ll have success. I plan to take it up again one of these days.

Knapping rifle flints is a much needed trade for starting a business. I encourage you to pursue that skill! I self taught myself to knap flint to make arrow heads and enjoyed it but having no interest in bows and arrows gave it up. Very educational pass time as the science is rather precise.
60F1DB60-D527-43B4-9B52-62A7C242D43E by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I make all my flints for my guns. I also am into making self bows but haven't gotten into arrow making as I much prefer shooting carbon shaft arrows from my self bows.
I've made a lot of arrow points to give away as presents to folks but what I like is designing and crafting good white wood self bows.
Since I've learned the secret of baking the bellies of white wood bows it allows much better cast and resilience that the Eastern Indians used for eons. Hickory is my wood of choice to this point and my favorite design is Pyramid with stiff tips. This design with the bellies baked half way through over a charcoal pit, gives the same performance as Yew or Osage Orange without the crookedness to deal with.
I like to set out in the warm sunshine in late spring or early summer and knapp out gun flints and arrow points.

There’s a number of youtube videos on Flint knapping. I’ve copied some of the tools, bought flint nodes and chert. Busted them up and made a big mess a number of times trying. I had very limited success, but I didn’t stick with long enough to really learn anything. There is both art and science to it and with enough practice you’ll have success. I plan to take it up again one of these days.
I as you. wound up with a pile of pieces, and no usable ones. so, I do as I did before trying to make them- buy them already made. and keep the flint nappers over in ENGLAND, employed!

Making 'correct' British or French style gunflints is a highly specialized skill that takes a lot of practice, and good material. BUT you don't have to do that. Anyone can learn fairly easily to make flakes and trim them to shape as usable gunflints if you can get decent flint or many American cherts.
Start with the basics - two books that give good explanations are Whittaker - Making and Understanding Stone Tools, and Waldorf - The Art of Flintknapping. There are dozens of youtube videos that you can find, and you should watch some of those too. Even better, find a flintknapping friend to get you started. It's a fun craft if you want to continue. Most US knappers work in a sort of Native American tradition of making 'arrowheads' but the principles are all the same. There are 'knap-in' gatherings of these folk, and some of the guys and gals at rendezvous may also be knappers.

Making 'correct' British or French style gunflints is a highly specialized skill that takes a lot of practice, and good material. BUT you don't have to do that. Anyone can learn fairly easily to make flakes and trim them to shape as usable gunflints if you can get decent flint or many American cherts.
Start with the basics - two books that give good explanations are Whittaker - Making and Understanding Stone Tools, and Waldorf - The Art of Flintknapping. There are dozens of youtube videos that you can find, and you should watch some of those too. Even better, find a flintknapping friend to get you started. It's a fun craft if you want to continue. Most US knappers work in a sort of Native American tradition of making 'arrowheads' but the principles are all the same. There are 'knap-in' gatherings of these folk, and some of the guys and gals at rendezvous may also be knappers.
He actually sells these books along with material and tools. I think I will pick some up from him and give it a try. He does primarily cater to Native American traditions.

Knapping rifle flints is a much needed trade for starting a business. I encourage you to pursue that skill! I self taught myself to knap flint to make arrow heads and enjoyed it but having no interest in bows and arrows gave it up. Very educational pass time as the science is rather precise.
60F1DB60-D527-43B4-9B52-62A7C242D43E by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
beautiful! I want to learn so that if i eever need to make one I have the skill set and understanding. I am sure its easier and cheaper to purchase flints.

Wrong quote

Can the folks that knap flint post photos of their tools?

Thanks.
Here is the knapping bench I copied from a youtube video, don’t remember which one. You just need a long mill file, brake it, grind the ends to and edge, hammer the tang (carefully) into a section of log, and weld the smaller section of file onto a metal rod to make the hammer. It works good for breaking up nodes. I made a template for sizing. The bowl is full of Texas Chert, maybe some Missouri Chert too. The big node is English Flint. And there’s a photo of some of the few flints that are usable, some of which I touched up on my diamond blade wet/tile saw. I plan to make one of the copper/lead mallets but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Attachments

• 3C9C2D2C-ED50-45BE-9687-659BC4760B54.jpeg
    3C9C2D2C-ED50-45BE-9687-659BC4760B54.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • E5753A23-9C3F-4C45-AAA8-24E5A6FE7A00.jpeg
    E5753A23-9C3F-4C45-AAA8-24E5A6FE7A00.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FD217899-982C-4AA5-8508-98EC554A519E.jpeg
    FD217899-982C-4AA5-8508-98EC554A519E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 9F0CF59F-1122-4715-89CD-CB194471B8A6.jpeg
    9F0CF59F-1122-4715-89CD-CB194471B8A6.jpeg