• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knap Flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i learned knapping as a child from my mothers brother, my uncle. when i got into flintlocks i just naturally made my own flints.
I also learned to make BP when my brother gave me a Springfield trapdoor for Christmas so i would stop swiping his m1 carbine to hunt .
with the rifle he gave me tools to reload and the ingredients that when combined made gunpowder. have never needed to buy any from then on. i have had people give me gunpowder with a gun i bought from them. Hercules, Dupont, and Goex among others. i used the commercial stuff as a control if you will when making my own. hope this explains.
my dwindling supply of flints. need to make some more.
a chert knife made a few years ago. not sure my hands could do it today.
Beautiful knife and wonderful knowledge! Wish I could bottle it all up for the days I have more time and just learn it. Iv always wanted to learn to make BP my self I thing that would be a great skill to have. Thank you for sharing it is much appreciated!

I’d like to know how to find material in my area (northern NJ). As in, what it looks like/what to look for.
Same here.

I'm in Monmouth county, none to found here, but I do go up to the Gap occasionally and was wondering if there was any to be found there ?
Or along the banks of the Delaware river ???

I’ve never managed to get a gun flint, or any thing else.
Howsomever taking ozark chert, ball pien hammer and a few swings I’ve gotten a lot of chips I could use

Back