• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knapping Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wanting to try this, but I can't find any flint around here. The local mountains seem to be composed of all sandstone, shale, and some quartz deposits.
The indigenous Cherokees must have traded with other tribes to get their flint.

I see from your profile that you are located about 10 miles above Flint Springs, TN.

Try there, they might have named it "Flint Springs" because there is flint there...

Good hunting.

Naw. I don't think so. I've traveled through the Flint Springs area many times. It is a bottom land, farming area, with some rolling hills. I haven't seen any rock outcrops in that area. I think the "Flint Springs" name may actually refer to a quartz deposit.
I have a farmer friend who lives just outside that area. His property has no flint.
Right here on my own property the soil is made of decomposed shale. It is hard, has clay deposits and little pieces of shattered, crumbly stone. I can break the pieces of shale in my hands.
But, maybe I'm missing something. I'll look into it.

I found this near you, well, sort of... The river is still there, so should the flint.

http://www.ele.net/moorehead/oldwine.htm

[Many years later I (Moorehead) discovered the quarries on Little River, Tennessee (Kentucky), eighteen miles south of Hopkinsville, Kentucky, whence, I am persuaded, this flint was obtained. It was of the nodular variety, gray-blue in character, and could be easily worked. The quarry showed signs of extensive working.]

Back