• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife/Short Sword

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this knife at a ml show about 10 years ago. All the seller knew about it was that it was found in an attic in Pennsylvania. I got it for a song. Can anyone help me in identifying the maker and the year?

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpeg
    IMG_0420.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0421.jpeg
    IMG_0421.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0426.jpeg
    IMG_0426.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I believe it is a hunting sword, designed to dispatch wild boar, deer, and such up close and personal. They were popular with the nobles a couple hundred years ago. I don't know, but yours looks German to me. The name Hommel is German, I think. Spelled a bit different, but I used to know a German guy named Hummel.
Nice looking piece.

Aschaffenburg is a city in Germany, southeast of Frankfurt. A typical German hunting sword of a type used up till WW2 and may still be in use. They were used a stabbing weapons, look at the shape of the blade and tip, and I expect yours doesn't have much of a cutting edge but is tapered from the back down to a dull edge. It isn't military but it's suitable for reenactment use for about any period as they didn't change much over the years from what you have. More or less a "working class" sword but still a nice piece.

Back