• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife steel material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wick Ellerbe said:
Pom-pom, this forge had a hole in the rear as well as front for doing swords, and a fan blowing across the entrance to get the heat away enough to not burn your hands or face. It was still too hot for even a semi-open evironment though. At least in the summer.

yeah, i'd noticed the hole in the back, but i'm not a fan of sectional heating, i guess. too many things to go wrong, to me.

the guys who do demonstration smithing at the puyallup fairgrounds have a smarter forge for longer pieces, to me.. it's a similar design, but tilted on its side. seems like it'd more efficiently hold heat too. the gas flame enters front bottom, swirls around the wall and exits the top rear. very clever too.

Picture.jpg
[/img]

That looks real nice Wayne!! :hatsoff: Is this from the 8670 steel you had mentioned ?

7" x 1/8" There is almost no flex in the blade but a thinner blade around the cooking area sure is nice. The steel turned out pretty hard. Took me awhile to get a edge even with a diamond stone. I am waiting on some tooling leather to make a sheath for it.

Latest posts

Back