• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kodiak rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Iam considering buying a double barrel kodiak rifle
from Cabela's. Does anyone know anything about
the qauality, accuracy or all around desireabilty of
one of these rifles? Thanks for any info!

I don't know about the Kodiak rifle but I have a CVA .50 double rifle with an adjustable sight and it does pretty good. Not the tack driver that a conventional rifle is but once you fiqure out what distance it is regulated at with certain loads they will shoot pretty accurately. :hmm:

i believe the kodiak does not have regulated barrels. instead, it has two flip-up sets of sights, one to be sighted in for each barrel. so, i suppose it's not truly a double rifle, but you get a functional two shots nevertheless.

The Kodiak .58 I got from Dixie Gun Works was good quality and had nice wood. The barrels are considered to be "semi-regulated". It shot well enough that I used one sight for both barrels at 50 yards. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to sight the left barrel for 75 yards with the extra sight. Remember, with a double, you really have to take your time and develop a load. Mine liked:
100 grains Goex 2f
Wonder-lubed pillow ticking .018
.570 roundball

Kodiaks are not target rifles. They're excellent 50 - 75 yard hunting rifles in my opinion.

:grin: I have had a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 cal. for over 20 yrs. It has taken several moose with ease.
It shoots beter with patched round ball, than minie ball.
Mine will shoot to same point of impact, with 80 grs. 3f, in the left barrel, and 90 grs. in the right, at 75 yds.
It has been problem free all these years, and I would recommed it to anybody, looking for that type of rifle. It is heavy.
I have not found the CVA rifle comparable in fit and finish to the Pedersoli.
Best Regards. Old Ford

Picked up a NIB .54 last spring but haven't had a chance to shoot it. The box was from Cabela's and has the bag grip vs the English stock. I think the twist is 1:66, so I plan on using round balls. (New one's are supposed to be 1:48 now.) The fit and finish are excellent and the wood is decent. Just a nice double gun at a quarter of the price for the cheapest cartridge gun.

RedFeather

I had one for a while and it was not well regulated. Point of impact for the two barrels was diffent enough that I ended up moving on to other guns. Using the sights for each barrel would probably work OK for hunting. They are pretty front end heavy as well for the smaller calibers. If at all possible, I would want to shoot the particular gun I was thinking of buying before committing to the purchase.

From what I understand, the Kodiak is a real bear to shoot. :grin:
Bear to shoot.. :grin: :grin:...Kodiak....Kodiak BEAR!! GET IT?? Har Har har har ha.... :rotf:

Anyway, IMO, Pedersoli is one of the best Italian gun companies making Muzzleloading rifles and I'm sure the Kodiak (squelching of the mirth) is a fine rifle.

If you plan to hunt with it, one thing to do before you put out such large amounts of money is to check with The State you want to hunt in to see if a double rifle is OK with their Game and Fish laws.
I know most States will not object for a cartridge hunt, but if it is a Muzzleloading hunt it may be illegal.

At least, in Arizona's Muzzleloading hunts, the rifle must be a single shot gun without the capability of having more than one load in it.
I believe the Kodiak's two barrels would make it illegal here.

I have 1 in 58 cal. I really have not shot it enough though. mine barrels are supposed to be regulated for 75 yards with a laser. 1 barrel is noticable tighter than the other. It is good enough accuracy that I killed a doe with it. It ran about 10 yards and it was all over.

Kodiak.jpg

I use .495s with a .015 patch, and 95FF Goex.

The right barrel shoots 4"s right at 100 yds.

Mine is sighted in for the left barrel, then just hold left for the second shot.

I use a .570 round ball, with a .015 washed linnen patch.
I also put a pre lubbed felt patch with bees wax, murphy's oil, and olive oil mix. {I use this mix on all my black powder patches }
Also a card {corrigated card board } over the ball to keep ball in place while shooting and carrying.
These extra concerns are probably not necessary, but it does give me peace of mind.
Hope this helps, Best Regards
Old Ford

Many thanks, it will give me a figure to start with and hopefully not waste powder having to start from scratch. :thumbsup:

If you're going to restrict yourself to roundballs then your regulation will be what it is with the exception of being able to change the powder charge. That may or may not bring both barrels into regulation.

Barrels can be regulated by the weight of projectile as well as velocity and obviously the combination of the two. Now if one were inclined to experiment with differing projectiles, say from the ball-et to a Minie' or another conical, I believe the barrels could be successfully regulated to shoot with one rear sight in the proper location on the barrel's rib, as it should be.

My first double rifle was German made in 43 Mauser. Absolutely no load information. It now shoots both barrels into 3 inches or less at 50 yards. It took 6 months, several pounds of powder, four different bullet molds, and much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but it's regulated. I lost track of how many different combinations I tried...but....like I said...it's regulated and a fine hunting rifle. Certainly the equal of the grand old 45-70. The education alone was worth the price of the rifle So, one COULD make the Kodiak double work with one sight. I for one would kinda like the challange.

My subsequent doubles are for more modern cartridges...not much tho as they're all BPE rounds....and were a snap to regulate after the Mauser.

Vic

As my Gran used to say, "you must be trixcylclic" because I was just about to ask OF how he found out that differant loads produced that result. I will probably be using patchball in this rifle. Very long replies accepted.

I've known for some time, the difficulty of getting barrels to the same point of impact.
And it it took " 5 or 6 " shots to hit at the same point....yeah right!
However, the barres do cross one another at line of sight, just from the welding process.
But just loading, and shooting one barrel you will find the ideal distance, with lets say the left barrel, then after the best load is found to give consistant, the start working on the next barrel, in no time at all you will find the second barrel comming close the first barrel.
When you change brand of powder, and batches of powder things may change, hence you might have to make minor changes to get the same results.
Have fun!

Best Regards
Old Ford

You can also put a peep sight on it. Pedersoli or someone makes it as I have seen Kodiaks pictured with them. Will have to see if my tang is tapped for one.

Back