• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ky longbeard with wingbone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Sure you can come out and hunt my place Brian told me last week. "I have 14 acres and you can run on the whole place." I kind of chuckled, 14 acres sure isn't much, but as I thought about it...if it was the RIGHT 14 acres it could be the ticket.

Twinkle-light was on me and soon I'd be able to get my bearings, never having been on the place before. As I pushed the ramrod down the barrel of the double 12ga caplock muzzleloader to seat the "overpowder card" I could almost yell as the happiness welled up in me! I thought of the hunts of long ago the old when these double barrel shotguns were used and reached for my wingbone that Arnie Jonathan had made, to make the hunt truly complete.

A gobble rang out and cut my walk with the past to an immediate halt. I made haste up the hill to get on the same level as the bird. Brian said the place had a fence all the way around it, and I soon hit it. I picked out a good hideout and sat down. He continued to gobble for about 10 min off and on and I gave a few soft yelps, which he immediately cut off.

I heard him flydown and my heart quickened, he was CLOSE! Then, I heard him, a second bird which also flew down. I gave a few more yelps, a little louder this time with a few clucks and they both HAMMMMEEEEERRRRRRRRED! I laid the hammers back and got ready as they were under 75 yards!!

Within a matter of minutes the first gobbler showed, but was about 45 yards out and crossing the small opening. I knew the pattern would not hold with that kind of range and my heart started to drop, until I saw Mr Longbeard #2 come into view in 1/2 strut at about 30-35. I took aim and touched off the trigger and smoke filled the air. I saw the gobbler flopping, then regain his stance somewhat, so I touched off barrel #2 and the fine gobbler went down for good!

As I stood there having just taken a nice gobbler I smiled, then thanked the good Lord for this morning and THAT 14 acres!!!

wessKy01a.jpg

wessKy01.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Wess :haha:

congrates on a fine bird the old way, nice thick beard too :hatsoff: :v .............bob

I have always said that about turkey properties... they needn't be big to be great. Congratulations! :hatsoff:

Great story and shooting.
I'm wishing I had a double barrel for the Pa season. Maybe next year.

Back