• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R lock tuning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ApprenticeBuilder said:
My first flint was built with the Bailes lock and no complaints, I see no problems with that lock anyhow.

There is alot of bias towards Chambers locks and kits, just the way of it I 'spose.

All you guys that have those junky L&R locks can send them to me if'n theys to much trouble forn ya. :blah:

The Bailes lock is coveted by target shooters who find it to be the fastest and most reliable small flintlock commercially available.

If folks send you too many, Apprenticebuilder, send the surplus my way. Especially a Durs Egg lock- I have one that has been a killer lock since 1978.

buckscolock.jpg

Rich, I bought all my L&R locks directly from L&R. All pleadings to make them right was lost to deaf ears. They would eat flints, but mostly they wouldn't spark past 5 tries. I sent them to the original owner of L&R and the problem was quickly found. The bridle is not drilled correctly, the main springs had a twist in them, the heel on the frizzen was not in the correct position, the frizzen was too hard and the cock or the frizzen did not have the correct geometry to scrape the face of the frizzen with the flint instead of slammimg in to it. The folks at L&R told me that it is normal for a flint lock to only get 5-8 firings before they needed attention. Like I said in another post, these locks were all made after 2000. It seems in their past they made good locks and they are still living on that reputation. I can understand a person getting a bad lock sometime from anyone, but I haven't got a good lock from them[url] yet.Again[/url], the only reason I have as much effort and money into them is because they fit the SxS shotgun(2 Mantons, 2 Durs Eggs) that I wanted correct looking locks for. I do have another lock, an L&R Classic, it was an exercise in high Blood Preasure as well. This lock is on a Beck 50cal. This is my deer rifle. Just the effort of putting a new flint in before going afield was no quarentee, it was going to work. If you tested the positioning of the flint 4-5 times before loading, you may have only one firing left. I found a guy smarter than me on this lock as well and it is now a decent, but not great lock. Dealing directly with L&R is no quarentee you will get a poor lock working or even get it to work. They were never able to fix my locks. To those who have had great luck with this locks, I am extremely happy for you, but I have a total of 5 locks from them since 2000 and I never experienced a good lock, without outside help yet. It is a true tragedy. They make the style of locks that many people look for and at one time they seemed to make good locks. If they would just study their problems and fix these issues, they would be a great company, with many lock choices. May your luck be better mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch. That would drive me crazy too. Sure sounds like things have changed for them. It's a shame because L&R was the first company to offer a line of flintlocks with a variety of styles suitable for many different guns. Thankfully there are plenty of styles available now from other manufacturers. We have more excellent components nowadays than we ever dreamed of having in the late 70's.

Rich.
Tell ya what, if I get to many locks I'l swap ya for a gross of flints :thumbsup:

IMG_0265.jpg

Picked this lock up for next to nothing, original owner decided to tinker. Changed the angle of the cock, tried to re-harden the frizzen and cracked it so then re-soled the frizzen. I picked up a new as cast frizzen and cock and am in the process of re-fitting the new parts, shame its a righty cus I'd like to put it on a personal build.

Half soling the frizzen is the ticket to fixing the hardness problem forever.

I can barely get caught up with flint orders- else I'd consider it! The Durs Egg is one of the sweetest looking locks out there.

SORRY---RICH---I guess we bragged up your flints too much---but they are as TONY the tiger would say---are GRRRREAT--- :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Latest posts

Back