• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R replacement locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Can anyone tell me if L&R replacement locks for the T/C require modification of the rifle? Elsewhere on this board I was told that installing an L&R replacement lock would require modification, and that the origional lock might no longer fiit.

Thanks

Tod said:
Greetings all,

Can anyone tell me if L&R replacement locks for the T/C require modification of the rifle? Elsewhere on this board I was told that installing an L&R replacement lock would require modification, and that the origional lock might no longer fiit.

Thanks

Don't know about that, but FWIW I'll make sure you're aware of this...the evolution of an L&R lock alternative came as a result of the poor reliability of TC Flint lock assemblies years and years ago.

The L&R aftermarket alternative is a moot point now since TC has redesigned their lock assembly and they'll take care of the old style locks at no charge under lifetime warranty.

(PS: Altering a TC stock may void it's lifetime warranty)

I wouldn't spend the bucks on the L&R replacement lock. The T\C L&R lock is only warrantied for either 30 or 60 days. (Maybe 90 days at best). L&R warranties their "other" locks for a zillion years. Makes me wonder about the quality of the T\C "drop in" replacements.

The T\C locks are warrantied for life. So, if you have a T\C lock that is giving you an issue, send it back....they will fix it for free. If you are going to buy a lock for a T\C gun, buy a T\C lock...it's warrantied for life....not a day-n-a-half like the L&R.

My$.o2

Dave.

Anyone know if you can buy a t/c lock all by itself? I'd like to be able to switch between caplock and flint, since there are a whole range of caplock barrels avilable from GM.

As an aside, not a rousing endorsement of L&R locks.

Davemuzz said:
L&R warranties their "other" locks for a zillion years. Dave.

:confused: That is not what the web site says:

As copied & pasted From the L&R web site:

Limited Warranty

L & R Lock Co., Inc, warrants its custom (not including RPL Line) locks and triggers to be free of defects in material and workmanship for one year after purchase. We will replace or repair, at our option, any locks and triggers found to be defective within this period.

This warranty extends only to the original consumer purchaser and does not cover misuse or damage after purchase.
Any locks and triggers worked on or repaired outside the L & R Lock Co., Inc. factory voids this warranty.
No warranty claims will be honored without proof of purchase and the damaged part. Proof of purchase must accompany all returns and correspondence concerning warranty. All returns or exchanges of unaltered and undamaged merchandise,still under warrenty,will be subject to a $15.00 restocking fee. Items no longer under warrenty can not be returned. See address below.

RPL WARRANTY
The RPL Line of locks is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for thirty days after purchase. We will replace or repair, at our option, any lock found to be defective within that period.

L&R locks are good locks. They are not expensive and the employess of L&R are easy to work with. I have had them repair a lock without asking for proof of purchase. It was a lock I had worked on and one of the springs failed. Like all locks except some of the Chambers locks and Bob Rollers creations they can be tuned to work better, and faster. The L&R english bar lock on my reproduction rigby needed to be worked on to reduce the trigger pull. This was not a lock problem but a tuning issue. The rifle now has a great trigger pull. By the way Thompson Center makes a very nice lock. We are blessed with a broad range of lock producers from L&R,Davis, Chambers and other siler assemblers to the high end Bob Roller locks to the low end Spanish locks.
Pete

Tod said:
Anyone know if you can buy a t/c lock all by itself?
Certainly...the last time I checked they were $115 direct from TC / Fox Ridge...or $105 from most ML suppliers

Tod, you can find T/C locks on Ebay all the time. I've been bidding on them for a couple weeks until I finally won one at the price I wanted to pay. I've seen some real cherries there!

Hey, if you are happy with them, that is all that matters. :grin:

I have had way too much trouble with them brand new to ever use them again. :shake:

Keep in mind that your stock will have to be altered a little to get the L&R lock to fit and that probably will void the TC warranty.

I have the Late English lock which is very similar to the repacement lock you speak of and it's a nice lock but the newer and improved model of the TC lock is every bit as reliable. I never liked or could rely on the older style that originally came on the rifle but I now have 67 shots on my new lock with the same flint and it has never failed to fire. In my old lock with a new flint I could never count on it to fire. My TC PA Hunter rifle is very reliable now and I am glad I made the switch to the newer style lock.

Roundball and whitetails. It just doesn't get any better that this. :hatsoff:

Back