• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Landed an original 3-band Enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep ... because that rifle's more than a century old and doesn't fire a metallic cartridge it doesn't need to be registered here in Australia, but a modern replica does ... go figure ...

All of the rest of my bangers - including my 1970's made Parker Hale Volunteer - are safely hidden from the world in a dank locked cabinet as is the law.

And, apart from the facts it's a fine piece of colonial history and a superbly made firearm, a big attraction to it was being able to hang it on my wall - with bayonet fixed - as a big f#*k you to the powers that be! :blah:

:thumbsup:
Same laws here in Canada.
Sir that is a fine rifle, and it was a great pleasure to read this thread in its totality.

Fantastic!

Robert

Mornin', Heatseeker64 - since I can't send you either an e-mail or start a pm with you, for reasons best known to the management - can I ask why you shot this lovely old piece with what you call a 'battle load' of 90gr?

The correct load for the P53 is 2.5 drams, or a little over 68gn.

I'd hate to see it spread all over the landscape from a flaw that you couldn't detect.

Oh, and you as well, of course. :wink:

tac

tac said:
Mornin', Heatseeker64 - since I can't send you either an e-mail or start a pm with you, for reasons best known to the management - can I ask why you shot this lovely old piece with what you call a 'battle load' of 90gr?

The correct load for the P53 is 2.5 drams, or a little over 68gn.

I'd hate to see it spread all over the landscape from a flaw that you couldn't detect.

Oh, and you as well, of course. :wink:

tac

With which powder you talking about?

Hi Heatseeker64

It is a beautifull rifle you got there and it sure looks good on the wall. A word word of caution, a freind of my also had some of his rifles on the wall whit bayonets on them untill one day when a guest slammed the front door hard enough to make one fall dovwn, the bayonet cought his youngest son in the temple. As luck would have it the resulting wound was shallow and no great harm was done,

Sir, the service load for the P53 is 2.5 drams, as I stated, of whatever fine musket powder the British, whose arm it was, were using at the time. It is generally considered that we are barely catching up with the quality and effectiveness of the powder that was made in those days - I suspect that it was, by all accounts, the equivalent of Swiss FFg, perhaps bigger at Fg. I look to real experts like David Minshall to correct my assumptions, but there is no way on earth that I would have fired that arm of yours with that charge without first having it fluoroscoped for hidden cracks.

I guess you got lucky the once.

I was ten meters away from a dying young man one afternoon, when his pal, ignoring the very loud bangs, fired the last of three triple over-loads in a Colt Trooper. Instead of 6gr of Bullsye, it had been loaded accidentally with 18gr. The resultant explosion drove a piece of the cylinder through his right eye, and another through his carotid artery. We kept him alive long enough for him to die getting him off the truckbed outside the ER.

I'd really hate for that to happen to you.

tac

Back