• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Large Bore For Africa Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, I understand your wanting to take dangerous game with a flintlock but the early elephant hunters, etc. that used those heavy caliber guns also shot at very close distances. Is it even possible to hunt with muzzleloaders now? If so, you would have to find a PH who would approve the hunt. If you do go, please post pictures.

It's a great idea and I'd love to hunt Africa with a flint and roundball. However, while you are checking it out with the PH, make sure to ask about the availability of black powder (or subs if you're willing to go percussion). You will have a lot of difficulty taking BP with you if you can at all so be sure there's some waiting for you when you go.

I can tell you that when I faced a cape buffalo with a .375 H&H I sure wished it had been a .575! Got the buff, still have all my body parts, but it was definitely exciting to look into a ******-off buff's eyes at 30 yards. It really focuses the concentration...

I would consider taking a cape buffalo with a stoutly-loaded 8-bore (with PH backup) but I lack the cojones to go it with a 4.

If you can find an issue of the Black powder Digest 2nd edition there is a very good article of an African big game hunt taken by Turner Kirkland I believed they used originals but it will give you an idea of how many lbs of lead to take...per shot. they took game from Elephantwith the big stuff down to various antelope with with the same guns we hunt deer with here.

Good advice on studying Baker. Interesting read. He once killed a wounded buff with a load of sixpence (!)

About 12-15 years ago I remember reading a story about the, then owner of Navy Arms, going to Africa and taking all of Africa's Big 5,10,12? big game with a .58 cal Navy Arms muzzleloader, it was quite a story. If I remember correctly it was his thinking at the time that any caliber larger then the .58 was not practical based upon velocity, range and recoil. I am sure if you do some google searching you can find the story in question.
I hoped I have helped some, good luck!!...Ironhorse...

SCATTERSHOT said:
Good advice on studying Baker. Interesting read. He once killed a wounded buff with a load of sixpence (!)

Actually it was a Water Buffalo in "Ceylon" and the load of currency, wrapped in his shirt tail, on its forehead only allowed him to escape. The details are in "With Rifle and Hound in Ceylon" and its one of the highlights of the book.
His experiences trying to kill these animals with what was likely a 16 bore+- (could be determined by some coin collector knowing the coins he used I suppose) fouling piece contrast widely with the effect of the "2 ounce" (8 bore) rifle on water buffalo an animal while not as vindictive as the Cape buffalo is still a large bovine that can turn a human to hash if "irritated".

Dan

Kansas Volunteer said:
I'd suggest you study the writings of Sir Samuel White Baker, to help you make an informed choice. I recall reading he used a two-bore on elephant loaded with 12 drams of powder. You can probably find references to buffalo in his books, too. I know there is a bit on giraffe hunting.

Bakers books are available for download on the WWW.
But then I would have to print them out to read them. Reading a computer screen don't work for me.
Dan

bioprof said:
The Gunworks Muzzleloading Emporium sells rifled barrels up to 69 caliber. A 4 bore might be in order for Cape Buffalo though.

4 bores need to be heavy and can tire the hunter to the point he cannot really shoot them well after a long day or so they say. Thus a 10 or 8 bore is perhaps a better choice. Big enough is good. Too much is often bad.
Selous used a pair of light 4 bores weighing about 13-14 pounds as I recall and he took a awful beating from them from his own account. I often wonder if this is why he seemed to have difficulty killing elephant with them. He admitted they affected his shooting for the rest of his life. He seemed to loose a lot of elephant he shot and I wonder if it was shot placement. Taylor reported he found every Elephant he shot (10-12 IIRC) with the 10 bore ML he used for a short time.

Here are some videos of 8 and 4 bore cartridge guns being fired. http://www.doublegunshop.com/vintage6.htm

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirkland Turned took an Elephant with a 4 gauge 1030 Gr. ball and 300 gr 2f an original percussion Elephant Double gun, he shot it thru the ribs at 45 yds the .880 balls flattened to 1.75 inch, they were using pretty soft lead and surmised that a harder type would have likley penetrated better feeling most of the expansion was caused by the thick skin, good article, those old BP digests are usually available for a few bucks.

Ironhorse,
I probably still have that article. I found it interesting that He 'took' an elephant with the .58 and a slug. By his admission, he hit the elephant too far forward on the side of the head. That made it good and mad and it turned and charged. The PH then put a modern .458 thru the tusker's brain. That killed it. Otherwise it probably would have killed the hunter and kept going. It would probably still be running around looking for humans to get even with for its perpetual headache. Hee, Hee!
volatpluvia

Talk to Alan Adolphsen. He's the guy that built my Jaeger. He built a flint double for a guy to take on safari for dangerous game. Apparently the guy had a successful hunt.
Link

pcrum said:
Talk to Alan Adolphsen. He's the guy that built my Jaeger. He built a flint double for a guy to take on safari for dangerous game. Apparently the guy had a successful hunt.
Link
Too bad those photos are so poor quality. It's hard to see their product.

Yea, he's realy old school. they make everything in their shop. He told me that he had to borrow a digital camera. Their work is fantastic. The wood to metal fit is amazing.

Cutfingers said:
:cursing: At the risk of being called an "old stick in the mud", if you kill it then eat it. Wonder how Leopard tastes?

Mountain lion tastes pretty good.

Dan

Hey

Just wanted to say thanks for all the imput. I'm definately going to get those books recommended on here. Mostly just looking what size bore would be best. I am an apprentice muzzleloading gunsmith and have been working for 3 years under a gentleman who's built for 35 years. He's never built something this large of caliber he like little stuff. So mostly trying to find barrel manufactures that would be able to get me a barrel in the 10 bore to 4 bore range :p. Again thanks for all your advice.

Chris

Back