• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Large Confederate Style Bowie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runewolf1973

The Crown & Cutlass
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Up for consideration is this hand forged bowie I recently finished. The blade is 1075 high carbon steel, 12" long by 2" wide, with a 3/16" thick spine and an overall length of 17". The handle is maple with a robust, one-piece through tang design just like the originals, peened at the end and given a distressed, aged finish. The handle was also carefully carved to give it the look of age-related cracks and splits, but it is a perfectly solid, single piece of hard maple. It comes complete with a leather scabbard. Asking $265 USD with shipping included to US and Canada.

Military veterans and First Responders get an additional 15% off.

Thanks for looking!

Screenshot_20240730-192540.png
Screenshot_20240730-192214.png
Screenshot_20240730-195616.png

Just had to edit the post a bit because I want the details to be as specific as possible since this is a high quality reproduction and a I fully stand behind all my workmanship.

Last edited:
What is the blade thickness?

Sorry, I forgot to add that. The blade is 3/16" thick. The balance point is about 2" forward of the guard so it feels very nimble and iIt has a nice blade geometry that you could (if you wanted to) slice carrots without them flying off the counter.

Last edited:
Is the sheath historically correct? I was under the impression those types of copper leather rivets were not around during the ACW.
I'm not 100% sure on the copper rivets, but if it is not historically accurate, I will make another sheath without the rivets at no extra charge to anyone who buys it.

Is the sheath historically correct? I was under the impression those types of copper leather rivets were not around during the ACW.

Yes, historically correct. Below is a photo of a copper rivet excavated/plowed up in Pollard, Alabama at the site of a Confederate training camp. The rivets were used on pistol holsters, belts and harnesses.
IMG_2980.jpeg

That is really nice for the price kind surprised it hasn't sold yet.
How is edge retention any idea how hard it is?

That is really nice for the price kind surprised it hasn't sold yet.
How is edge retention any idea how hard it is?

I just reduced the price. Was previously asking $350, but then realized with the exchange rate to Canadian dollars, I can get away with charging less and still make the effort put into making a knife like this worthwhile. As far as edge retention, anything that I've made with 1075 has been a good, reliable cutter and chopper. It's probably one of the best steel choices for a knife of this sort. Tough as nails.
For specific hardness, I'm not 100% sure because I heat treat out of a forge and try to do things in a more traditional way, but I would suspect it falls around 58-59 RC for hardness because you can barely mark it with a file. I've never had a customer encounter an issue to my knowledge, but if ever there were, I stand behind my work and would make things right. Customer satisfaction is more important to me than anything.

Last edited:
Runewolf1973
Respectfully offer $200 for the Bowie.
Can pay via PPFF or Zelle,
Thanks for your consideration.
Tony

Thanks for the offer, but I know I am already underselling myself on this knife and I'm sure other makers would agree. If it doesn't sell in the next week or so, it will be putting it in an upcoming show. It would look fantastic next to my guns..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back