• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Larger Flash Hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummy

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
My question is, will opening up my flash hole from .0625 to .070 dia. on my flint lock rifle make ignition more reliable?
Thanks.

Get a numbered drill set. You can go up to a .0630 or .0670 first. I have had good luck with the .0630. Just a little larger but it helps. Also make sure the breech isn’t caked with fouling.

Why do you ask? What kind of ignition problems are you having? There might be another and better solution if you're more specific about why you ask. ;)
I bought a Invest Arms Hawken style rifle .50 CAL. new from Dixie Gun Works. I had reliability problems with ignition. I've tried every thing that I know, my club members know, our forum knows and YouTube knows.

new English flints, tried both bevel and bevel down
.062 flash hole dia. in the sunset position
4f powder in the flash pan (Goex)
50 gr. 3f main charge (Goex)
.490 RB
.018 thick pre lubed patch
flash pan powder towards the outside and inside of flash pan
tapped on barrel to make sure powder is in the patent breech
picked flash before each shot
Sometimes I get flash in the pan but no main charge
Sometimes it goes off okay
Sometimes hang fire
Tough to shoot when it's like this

Bought a new L&R lock, didn't work any better

I'm so frustrated that I'm thinking of buying a Kibler Woods Runner with hopes of better reliability.
PLEASE HELP!!

Why do you ask? What kind of ignition problems are you having? There might be another and better solution if you're more specific about why you ask. ;)

I'm so frustrated that I'm thinking of buying a Kibler Woods Runner with hopes of better reliability.
Well, that will definitely solve your ignition problem, no doubts here whatsover, though rather a drastic and expensive and time-consuming solution to the immediate problem.

Fix this rifle first .... THEN .... get yourself a Kibler!! :thumb:

Last edited:
Any ideas of what to try next?
You're sure your breech face and flash channel are clean? Some of these repro firearms with their "patent" breeches and/or long or angled flash channels can be problematic, and a simple flash hole pick and "square" breech scraper won't remedy. See @EC121 post above.

You should be able to easily see the breech face shining back at you and the flash hole channel where it meets the breech with a simple pencil-type flashlight, if it's bright enough and the beam concentrated enough. Or you could go all out and get yourself a Teslong borescope off Amazon that pairs to your phone or your iPad.

Searching forum will bring up posts of how people deal with cleaning patent breeches.

Good luck. ;)

Last edited:
I clean it with hot soap and water with the liner out then I oil it for a one-month storage until our next club shoot. Before I shoot it, I clean the barrel and patent breach with rubbing alcohol and blow it dry with compressed air. The touch hole liner threads straight into the patent breach and appears to be clean.

You're sure your breech face and flash channel are clean? Some of these repro firearms with their "patent" breeches and/or long or angled flash channels can be problematic, and a simple flash hole pick and "square" breech scraper won't remedy. See @EC121 post above.

You should be able to easily see the breech face shining back at you and the flash hole channel where it meets the breech with a simple pencil-type flashlight, if it's bright enough and the beam concentrated enough. Or you could go all out and get yourself a Teslong borescope off Amazon that pairs to your phone or your iPad.

Searching forum will bring up posts of how people deal with cleaning patent breeches.

Good luck. ;)

Get a numbered drill set. You can go up to a .0630 or .0670 first. I have had good luck with the .0630. Just a little larger but it helps. Also make sure the breech isn’t caked with fouling.
I will check the breach. Thanks.

Back