• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last Day Duck Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I used to duck hunt much more than I deer hunted but the Duck Dynasty crew has turned every punk and outlaw into wannabee duck hunters. They don't know any of the unwritten rules and set up right next to you, skybust, and don't stop shooting when they limit out.
So I spent more time deer hunting. My dog, however, doesn't like this arrangement so I had to satisfy her on the last day of the season. We didn't do very good but she got to retrieve a couple of marginal ducks.

She enjoyed the heck out of it. I tossed the ducks back in the water 3x so she'd get more retrieves and she liked that a lot. Too cold for the gators that day.

Good for your dog! Interesting point you made about the cold temps: we don't have to worry about gators up north :haha:

Did have a neighbor loose a fine pup once, though. He was teaching it how to retrieve in the pond when a snapping turtle pulled it under and drowned the dandy little dog. Dangers abound everywhere we tread, it seems.

Great picture! :thumbsup: I'm glad your dog got a good workout and was able to do some retrieves.

Seems those "wannabe's" are everywhere now-a-days on public lands. Whether ducks or deer or small game, they follow no rules of hunting ethics. :idunno: I fear it's not going to get better. :shake:

Looks like she is ready for more.

Hate to sound really dumb, but what breed is she? Curley coat retriever...water spaniel? :hmm:

Ah, Boykin! That was another possible guess. Good looking girl you got there. Don't see many up this way, all labs, goldens, and a few chesapeakes.

If she were mine, I would be on the look out for gators too.

Congrats on the dog and the hunt,must have been fun for both of you. :grin:

Yes,I put a sling, if possible, on every long gun that I hunt with. I carry it a lot more than I shoot it. That one is a nylon strap that the ramrod slides through the sewn loop and I have a button at the other end. It works good except when I need the ramrod. :wink:

Sometimes I read a post and really smile.

Duck hunting, years ago I hunted nearly every day of the season. I do miss that, I hunted 30 days one year.

I took a girl friend one morning and on the way back she said she was tired and I would have to carry her back to the truck. I evaluated the situation, I had my shot gun, hers, our ducks and my decoys, along with a thermos. Told her that I would be back the next season to get her. She managed to get to the truck after all.

One morning I was crossing a pond and my friend asked if it was deep, told him nope, about knee deep. He disappeared, alligator wallow, he was not a happy camper. Next trip it was really foggy and we could not find out way to the pond and he started to complain about being lost, told him to find his way back to the truck by himself.

" Ah, Boykin" I have read they are one of the best dogs around, would like to have one.

Slings, have used them for a long time, even a rope it a help.

That gator hole sounds familiar. I crossed a prairie (Florida talk for a marsh) one morning in chest waders. I got 15 yards from where I was going to set up when I stepped into an 8 foot deep gator hole. Luckily, one foot caught on the edge and I managed to kick and claw myself to the surface. I didn't even drop my shotgun. I retrieved my decoy bag, waded to shore, stripped, emptied out my waders and wrung out my clothes.
I should have gone right home 'cause I only got one ringneck after that. :idunno:

Back