• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last day last light

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well diden't draw my muzzleloader elk tag this fall, first time in 11 years so I had to get a fourth season left over and hunt with all thos ATV driving scoped rifle shooting beer guzzling dingdongs and it was total rice crispies in the frozen woods under a full moon.
After five days hiking in my mocs sneeking dark timber with lots of close but no cigar chances I stalked in on a lone cow bedded down and hammered her at 10 yrds in the neck with my TVM 54 cal Leman.
big ol gripe, it took me two days to pack her out.
So I guess it's gonna be wild turkey and cow haunch for thanksgiving at CoyoteJoe's house this year.
Just gotta give thanks for all we got.
:bow:

Just another tuckered out ol coot doing it the old ways,
TRADITIONAL!!

Greenmtnboy said:
....it took me two days to pack her out.

TRADITIONAL!!

Sometimes ya' wonder why ya' squeezed the trigger, right? :wink:

Congrat's! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chance said:
That is great please post pics if you can.
sorry buddy I had to send my fujie fine pix back after dumping creek water on it during my wife's muzzleloader season.
Just close your eyes and picture me standing next to a herd cow with no teeth in the dark timber.
:haha:

Bald Mtn Man said:
Greenmtnboy said:
....it took me two days to pack her out.

TRADITIONAL!!

Sometimes ya' wonder why ya' squeezed the trigger, right? :wink:

No doubt!!
I even thought about it when I first found her with my binos, Now lets see it's gonna be dark when I'm gutting her out, 75lbs of gutts then a two hour hike out of here back to the truck then back here first light to start the real work.
but hay if it was easy we might not feel it as much when we give thanks.
:bow:

Funs over after ya pull the trigger, sounds like a lot of work. Grats to ya. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on a fine animal. I am wondering how it is that you couldn't get Coyote Joe to help you carry all that meat out of the woods? And you are providing meat at his Thanksgiving table? Tell me he was out hunting, too, or he would have helped you! :rotf: :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are truly blessed indeed. Part of the thanks being offered is the ability to get out there and enjoy what you're doing. Not everyone can. Each time I get out, I offer up thanks for being able to do so.

Sixty one years worth... life is good.

"Just another tuckered out ol coot doing it the old ways,
TRADITIONAL!!" :thumbsup:

Excellent! I don't even have to close my eyes to picture it, I still remember the weight of my pack from August. Congratulations on your winter meat and outhunting the Yo-Yo's. :hatsoff:
Idaho PRB

Greenmtnboy said:
Just close your eyes and picture me standing next to a herd cow with no teeth in the dark timber.
:haha:

:rotf: :rotf:
Been there done that. Next week I plan on trying to find a bull. I hope I get some snow, but it is almost 70 degrees here. Ron

Halftail said:
Sounded like a cool hunt!Does it taste anything like Whitetail?

I know there are distinct difference in tast amoung the deer species but what I have found wether it was Canadian border white tail,Moose,boo, or CO mule deer and elk is if you properly clean, hang, bleed, and butcher your meat in a timly fasion and you practice quick clean kills, is that all meat tast perfect every time.
And no, Elk does tast different than white tail if no seasonings are applied.

paulvallandigham said:
Congratulations on a fine animal. I am wondering how it is that you couldn't get Coyote Joe to help you carry all that meat out of the woods? And you are providing meat at his Thanksgiving table? Tell me he was out hunting, too, or he would have helped you! :rotf: :thumbsup:

Joe was smart enough or lucky enough to draw a Sept muzzleloader tag.

Back