• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

last minute bird

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Went this morning on the last day of TN spring season. Heard one gobble one time and that was it. Got on a ridge that I thought was close to where the last bird in the woods was roosted. There I sat with very limited calling for the next 3 hours. Around 9:30 this guy slipped in, He was at one time 23 steps and almost clear for a shot. (lots of leaves on the trees now) He saw me and the next time he was in the clear was a very long 35 steps away standing straight as a board with his back facing me looking over his shoulder. I like to keep my shots 25 steps or less. Any way I took a careful aim and when the flint hit the frizzen it touched off 70 gr FF and sent a 90 grain measure of #6's down my jug choked 44 inch Colerain towards his head and neck. He hit the ground with a broke right leg and broke left wing. A few in the neck but none in the brain. I really got lucky on the long shot. I really thought it was closer to 30 steps. Anyway I was glad to get one this season. I made sure to save his wing feathers for making arrows fletching and the big wing bones for powder measures. He was a very handsome jake with 5 1/2 inch beard that looked like it had been dyed fox squirrel red-orange on the last 2 inches. I used one overpowder cardboard card and two overshot cards over the shot.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Way to hang in there! Nice bird! Good shooting!Sure beats tag soup!

All turkeys are special, but flintlock smooth bore turkeys are "extra special". I really cant believe the shot I made. I really pushed my luck on the distance. I am sure I put some in the spine the way he dropped. I have got some 11 plus inch beards taken with an 870 but I will put this little 5 1/2 inch beard with a colored tip in my Indian artifact display case

A flintlock turkey IS SPECIAL.
It can not be explained.
It can only be experienced.
Congratulations.

PJC

Latest posts

Back