• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Last of the Mohicans"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyjoe

32 Cal.
Reaction score
You have to admit that watching for the little mistakes and screwups is kinda fun,especially for those who are familiar with a particular era.
I still get a chuckle when I watch "Last of the Mohicans" when the settler yells,"this isn't democracy,this is Absolutism"! Or something to that affect. Just the kind of thing one would expect to hear from a backwoods,probably illiterate,settler.
Ever notice during the siege of the fort how that Frenchie drops that huge ball into the mortar with tongs. Imagine the weight of that ball,and he picks it up with no more effort than it would take to pick up a cue ball!
I have my own copies of both movies and enjoy both of them. Watching for such blunders is just part of the fun.

I would think that ball would be hollow and filled with BP, I wonder how much such a projectile would weigh.

My Odawa nephew calls this movie the "John Wayne F&I movie" In a similar vein I have referred to the Patriot as "Mad Max whups up on the British"
Tom Patton

whiskeyjoe said:
I still get a chuckle when I watch "Last of the Mohicans" when the settler yells,"this isn't democracy,this is Absolutism"! Or something to that affect. Just the kind of thing one would expect to hear from a backwoods,probably illiterate,settler.

I think what he said was;

"Does the rule of English law no longer govern? Has it been replaced with absolutism?"

XXX said:
whiskeyjoe said:

I think what he said was;

"Does the rule of English law no longer govern? Has it been replaced with absolutism?"
You are right XXX.
The script said: JACK: [to Munro] Does the rule of English law no longer govern? Has it been replaced by absolutism?
Here is the link for the whole script: Link
:hatsoff:

Despite the few 'problems' within LOTM, the movie, and despite it not following the book very well, this is still a great flick. It is a work of art--the scenes, the music, the general "period feeling" is great. We can nit-pick it, but it is still a great story, loosely based on history--at least in the spirit of it, albeit told from the viewpoint of the European. Sometimes some of us get tied up in the details, such as Hawkeye's incorrect longrifle, and overlook the story, which carries one along as if in a period dream. I loved the movie, myself. I loved the artistry of the scenes filmed in one of my favorite places on earth. They should make more movies like it IMHO. Okwaho brought up the Patriot. Although I also liked this movie, I didn't love it. It is meaner. In many ways it does give one a correct 'impression' of the AWI in the south, even if it also plays loose with historic details, for example, the British DID burn churches--especially Presbyterian ones, but not with folks locked inside them, to my knowledge. Alot of death and destruction in the Patriot....

whiskeyjoe said:
You have to admit that watching for the little mistakes and screwups is kinda fun,especially for those who are familiar with a particular era....

I always get a giggle out of catching that sort of stuff. There was a movie called "The Naked Prey" from back in the '60s. It was a take off on the John Coulter story but set in Africa. There is one scene Cornell Wilde is being chased by the natives across a field with some woods in the background. The woods weren't enough to hide the red car going down the highway behind them.

There is always the classic jet contrails while the Isrealites are crossing the desert in "The Ten Commandments."

I agree, Mike.

I love the book, one of my all time favorites, but I think that the movie is really great in its own right. It has a few goofs here and there but overall I think it is excellent.

Beautiful scenery, great story, makes me almost feel the humidity and smell the undergrowth when I watch it.

I also wish there were more like it out there.

Really enjoy it time and again.

Doc

The Brits did burn a church with folks inside, Tarleton did it - maybe Waxhaw, SC. But men were inside it. And another massacre of surrendered Patriots. The Patriots did a 'massacre' or two of Loyalists also - one got Pickens into trouble at Kettle Creek, Georgia.

Just watched it again on HBO.The wife walks in the room and rolls her eyes and says "ya know ya got it on DVD and can watch it anytime" :haha: I love the movie.Wish they would make more like it.I havent read the book yet but it would be nice to have at huntin camp.

The first 5 pages of the unabrigded book are painfully slow but then it takes off and I could not put it down.

One of my all time favorite books by far. Just really incredible.

Give it a try but make sure to stick it out until at least page 10!

Doc Rogers

For those who like "Last of the Mohicans " with the magic gun sling, I highly recommend Mark Twain's hilarious and satiric review of Cooper's writing ie; Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses etc.
Tom Patton

I enjoy watching the movie whenever I catch it on, and the patriot also. Hollywood will always go with flash over history because a profit is the first concern but atleast it has gotten better in the last 15 years or so since they started hiring real reenactors and people with real knowledge about the time period they are working in.
How many John Wayne movies are there where he's in or a few months out of the civil war and he's shooting a colt peacemaker?
I'm usually happy enough to get a period movie especially when it's somewhat based on a historical event that I over look most of the odd ball stuff

I couldn't agree with you more, Doc. I love everything I've ever read by Cooper, but it usually takes until about page ten to remember why! He goes into a lot of long descriptions that some find tedious, but the action usually picks up pretty early and you wind up yawning at work the next day because you couldn't put the book down the night before.

I found "SONG OF THE MOHICANS" by Paul block at the local used book store in Alexandria, LA a few days ago. It is "The magnificent sequel to the beloved adventure classic" , I haven't started reading it yet, but it's supposed to pick up where LOTM left off. It's copyright is 1995.

Never heard of that one.

If you would, let me know how it is when you finish it.

Thanks,
Doc

my son noticed the part when Daniel Day-lewis comes running out from the rock to see Uncas falling through the air, that his right elbow touches the canvas of the rock and you can see it move.
we are looking for the guy in the red baseball cap right now!

yep, saw him, but you have to look close.

Latest posts

Back