• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Last of the Mohicans"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While serving a 12 year sentence in the public school system I read Coopers books. Being forced to set in a small 2 room school, and looking out the window at the changing seasons was hard on a boy in the 40s & 50S.
In the 6th grade I found that I could run the woods with Hawkeye rifle in hand. I know Cooper helped me adjust to a regulated world that waited just out side that little rural school. :wink:

snake-eyes said:
Claude said:
Interestingly enough, I have never looked for the flaws in the list I posted. It's of no interrest to me, as everything has flaws. That would be like focusing on the flaws in a friend or loved one, rather than enjoying them for who they are.
Claude,
I could not agree more.Movies are entertainment
not historical accounts of history.I personally
do not look for PC flaws in movies,but I can
see why some would.
I resently watched a 2hour show on the History
Channel on the 300 Spartans battle at Tripoly.
I then saw the movie 300.
I was thourghly entertained by both. History
a lot of times, is what one historian
persives it to be,or maybe 50.Then comes along
another 50 that persieve it different.
snake-eyes:hmm:
Couldn't agree more with you guys. I know if I were to focus on any of those flaws then all I'd see from then on would be those darned flaws! that's how it is with that danged red-hatted wrangler in the opening scene! :cursing:

Hey, just wondering what type of guns the four major characters are carrying.

Uncas
Chinchagook
Hawkeye
Magua

I watch movies for their entertainment value, not what I can find wrong with them, though I agree that most of the time you can't help but notice a glimps of the film crew, their equipment, or the modern world surroundings while the movie was being made.

LOTM, The Patiot, The Alamo, Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone,,, the list goes on for IMHO what I feel is good entertainment (both movies and past T.V. shows), and entertainment with some kind of values that give us a good feeling about ourselves when we walk out of the theater or turn our T.V. set off at night. :hatsoff:

For me the movie is the only one that has brought the Eastern Woodland Indians to life.

You get a glimpse of exactly why lots of folks were so afraid of those guys.

In the likes of Magua you don't get charicatures but a smart, bitter individual who can jump effortlessly between languages in debate.

And the director had all the actors and extras whupped into lean and mean shape over a six month period beforehand, colsely approximating what the originals probably looked like.

More's the pity we don't get to see the whole society.

Ya know, ain't it been fifteen years since the movie came out? :shocked2:

As to the weapons, I'd have to watch it again, surely the Brits are carrying Besses and te French Charlesvilles, question is, what are in Injuns carrying?

Birdwatcher

I suspect a lot of northwest trade guns and cut down fowlers. I really liked the blue painted "gunstock" tomahawk carried by Chingachgook. When the movie was new and a bunch of folks on Prodigy were discussing the flick I sounded like an expert talking about the acouterments. I pointed out that "flints don't grow on trees" when some lady complained that the three heroes were "robbing the dead". One poster was the bit player who doubled for a lot of part named Curtis Gaston. All he did was bad mouth Mark Baker as a "whiner".

-Ray

I generally don't get too whipped up on the inaccuracies in these movies{A friend has called LOTM the "John Wayne F&I Movie"}.The biggest reason is that they are just close enough to satisfy the public and they are generally enjoyable as were those great old Errol Flynn movies like "Captain Blood based on 17th century Caribbean piracy or in a different genre,"They Died With Their Boots On" loosely based on George Armstrong Custer and the Seventh Cavalry.

I can't remember the war club though.Was that the one that looked big enough to be confused with a hockey stick? Also its being painted blue would have been,IMHO,incorrect for a weapon of war. Red would have been far more appropriate for such a weapon.But these and many more such inaccuracies are lost on the general public in a movie directed a man who,I have been told, wanted the curl in Hawkeye's "Long rifle" to run horizontally with the length of the Ca.1815 Allentown rifle he used for a F&I movie.I would REALLY like to see the tree from which such a rifle might be made.Que Sera Sera.
Tom Patton

time to resurrect this string from the dead with a long forgotten link[url] http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo07032.html[/url]
it gives some interesting commentary on the making of the movie and some of those historical errors reenactors love to point out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back