• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last One

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Just finished a Lancaster and figured it was the prelude to my last LR....a Shuler Bucks County w/ all the characteristics. Normally don't like "fleur de lis" decoration, but this LR will have it as a lock and sideplate rear termination as many BC LRs had....in lieu of the normal beavertail. Might be a "keeper".

At 81 yrs old, the patience w/ which I so prided myself is waning and that along w/ the macular degeneration of my eyes, just takes the "joy" out of my morning stints in the shop.

What I'm undergoing is probably the same scenario that many original builders encountered...they became blacksmiths, farmers and assumed other less precise "jobs". These artisans endured much more in their relatively short gun making careers than I....poorer lighting and insufficient optics. If it weren't for the "Opti-visor", my gunbuilding would have ceased 10 years ago.

It's truly amazing that these early gunsmiths produced the many artistic and superbly plain LRs that they did...in spite of the disadvantages they "worked under"....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that Fred,I've always enjoyed seeing your work.Look forward to seeing the Bucks :thumbsup:

Mitch Yates

I am interested (and perhaps others here also)to know your history in the building of long rifles. Like when did you start building rifles? Do you know how many projects you have completed? Did you have a favorite style of rifle?

I feel for you my friend.My dad prided himself on how careful he had been while working. Then when he was 87 he was in his shop and had just ripped some wood.He turned off his saw and turned around to his bench and lost his balance.He fell and reached out his hand to steady himself.The saw blade was still spinning and two fingers were severed.He passed away last year at 93.I'm 55 now but not for long,time and tide catchs us all.The joy your handy work has brought you can never be taken away.The giftt of your handywork is now a part of the world,beuty and art in a world that never has enough of either :hatsoff:

I always welcome pics of original BC LRS....have quite a few thanks to Henry Bishop and some builders who also like the BC style.

Your name is mentioned quie often when BC LRs are discussed....any help would be welcome.....Fred

i am sorry to hear of it. as an admirer of your work, i would posit that we are all made greater as a result of your efforts.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem

What man is a man who does not make the world better?

i'll miss your sense of craft, for sure.

Started building LRs in 1977 because of the poor quality of MLers on the market... also built the flintlocks for my LRs because of the same poor quality.

Built and kept all the LRs I built and one day realized that I was running out of space in the gun racks and also the fact that most were no longer being shot, decided after much, painful deliberation, to sell most of them. Wasn't easy!

After that, all my builds were sold and although some were built for customers, most were spec guns.

Mostly built from blanks but also did some parts sets from various suppliers.

Really don't remember how many MLers I've built...must be a few dozen....Hawkens, Lancasters, Becks and my favorite...Bucks County.

Just started on the Bucks County w/ a 46" Rice "B" weight bbl. These LRs require more hand made parts and do take a little longer because of it. Hopefully the eyes will hold up.

Don't know what will replace the hours spent in the shop, but something will keep me busy. Thanks to everyone for your concern....Fred

I always appreciate looking at your work Fred, also tend to agree with your advise geared towards building.

:hatsoff:

Thanks Again

I hope you will remain an open book of knowledge for us all. I have always enjoyed your work. :hatsoff:

I feel for you Fred...My Grandpa has suffered from macular Degeneration for about 6 years now. He was a Millwright and a master carpenter. Grandpa is now 84 and although he can't see well..he's still going strong.Grandpa has spent alot of time teaching me and my brothers the ways of a carpenter. Like others have suggested, a role of a teacher maybe an idea for you as well?

Fred, sorry about this whole life thing....lack of money and time keeps me from my shop....but someday I look at the same thing...sitting in front of the wood stove and remembering stuff...just relaxing~

nothing wrong with relaxing! my kats seem happy, and they relax ALL the time!

Never have seen one of your longrifles but I have followed your advise a time or two over a couple yrs now an I figure you have forgotten more about building a longrifle than I will ever know. So just keep spreading that knowledge you've got packed away an that way, in a way your still building. Just this rednecks opinion :hatsoff:

W/ the knowledge gained by having read McCrory's little book and Buchele's "Recreating the American LR", started my first LR in 1977 from a blank and while mis-shaping the stock, soon realized that it wasn't correct and avoided looking at it for 3 weeks. Finally went to the shop and cracked it over my knee. The next evening it started the fire in my woodburner.

The 2nd attempt at building a LR {used the same parts from the first attempt} sits in my gunrack and was never put up for sale because it's so damn ugly nobody would want it.

I think all this anguish could have been partially avoided by attending some of the excellent "hands on" building seminars taught by knowledgeable builders.

After thr first 2 fiascos, the 3rd build was sold, so evidently I made some progress.

Outside of my 3 personal MLers, all my builds have been sold...except the one just finished. Building MLers has been an enjoyable experience through the years and would have been more enjoyable if I had attended some of the many "hands on" seminars.....Fred

I'm sorry to read this Fred. You add an intangible to your guns that few people can, and those of us that love the Buck's will feel your loss. I hope that some how, some way you will keep your hand in it even if it is somewhat limited. Thank you for the ones we did get to see! :hatsoff:
Robby

Thanks... kind words coming from a true artist mean a lot. We who "fake it" are envious and admiring of those who indeed have the "artist's eye".....Fred

flehto said:
Thanks... kind words coming from a true artist mean a lot. We who "fake it" are envious and admiring of those who indeed have the "artist's eye".....Fred

You just need a 'helper' in your shop Fred~
0223131353b_zps64195e4e.jpg

Your "helper" is quite impressive....my dogs and cats never liked to be w/ me in the shop....too much "guff"...they were blamed for all the miscues and lost items in the sawdust. In fact, my kids {5} and wife never liked it either...complained that it was cold down there. Never insisted that they come down to see what was being done...they were satisfied w/ that and even to this day, they just won't venture into my "inner sanctum".

You're putting out some excellent work and pics of such are greatly appreciated...of course most of it is inspired by "your helper"?.....Fred

From what I understand,the masters,"back in the day",had the apprentices do the grunt work,then he would do the "fun" stuff. Since he didn't have to strain his eyeball's and other parts that wear out,he was able to continue on for a few more years.

Cant prove any of it,possable reckless speculation,but makes sense with the apprentice system then. Not to late!

Back