• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last One

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, I don't know you personally but that was my father's name. I have followed your work and must say have always been impressed with it!

I can remember as a kid my dad cussing and fussing with glasses and I always thought that they couldn't be that bad.

Well I held out to about 48 and it came a day when the light was not bright enough and the arms not long enough.

So far I still do OK with readers but I do get what my father was fussing and cussing about when it comes to glasses.

I know my problem is not what is facing you! I am sorry to hear about your eyesight but it might be good to take a young fellar under your wing. He can be your eyes and you can fill his mind.

I was a fourth generation carpenter before all my health problems took me out of it! I don't guess there will be a fifth as my son chose to be a cop. Not a thing wrong with that as he is an honorable man!

Maybe I will live long enough to pass it on to one of my Grandchildren, (after I drill in to them they need to go to college)!

I learned so much from my father and was the only one of three boys who give a hoot to learn it. So I guess it would take the right young fellar, for you to school.
But knowledge like yours is too precious not to passed on.

My only regrets are I didn't pay better attention to some of what my father was trying to teach me.

Think hard on taking on an apprentice and passing on your knowledge my friend!

Fred - yer too much of a " treasure " to lose to time ......

" He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches. "

Be well ....

thom

in this case it sounds more like

"those that can... do, those that could but no longer can... make the best teachers"

bob g

As a retired craftsman, I can tell you that when you are used to doing high end work, and you no longer feel that you are doing that quality work it is a bit disappointing. One of my customers told me that my work on a bad day beats mosts work on a good day. That's all fine and good but... It is hard to accept that your best just isn't what it used to be. I understand Fred. I hope you find something enjoyable to replace gun building!

Fred. I have always enjoyed your work & am always anxious to see what you have done on the next one. You have built some beautiful rifles, to say the least.
I suggest you keep one on the bench, all the time, work on it as you can, when you feel like it. If you get it done, you do & if ya don't, ya don't. But it will be there to tinker with if you feel the urge.

Rest assured, your talent, knowledge & valuable responses to questions on this site are always appreciated & much needed by all here. I always look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Keith Lisle

Thanks to all for the kindest of words and thanks Keith for the PT advice.....Fred

Back