• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late Muzzleloading season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade Dan

50 Cal.
Reaction score
New York still will not give us an early muzzleloading season. We get 8 days after regular season [shotgun].By that time, the deer are so scared your lucky if you see them in 8 days.So I'm refusing to buy another muzzleloading tag.If your a bow hunter you have it made in NY. I'm not saying bowhunting is easy, I just wish they would give us traditional muzzleloading hunters a break, and give us a couple of weeks before regular season. Just Blowing off a little steam. thanks for listening.

You must be talking southern zone? Last I knew northern zone had the muzzloader season a week before the reg rifle season in October...can't find a place to hunt the northern zone?

dan said
If your a bow hunter you have it made in NY.
thats exactly why you won't see an early muzzleloading season in n.y.'s southern zone...if ya EVER do..it'll be antlerless only.bowhunters are united organized...AND Loud... ml's???? n.y.s. muzzleloading association membership is at a staggering 350...that should explain it.. :(

Yes I did mean the southern zone. I don't as of yet have a place to hunt in the northern zone, But I will start looking If I want to hunt early. And I am going to join the nys muzzleloading Assoc.
Thanks for responding Guys.

gee dan..if ya wanna get a lil primitive and join the nysmla too,,they're havin a vous up near old forge opening week of northern ml....walk out yer tent an yer huntin....(actually you could hunt from IN your tent but ya won't see much [strike]wildlife...[/strike]umm [strike]animals[/strike] umm legal game... :haha: :thumbsup:

muzzleloaders,that's all i use fer hunting...jus gotta decide between 58 rifle and 62 smoothie...or 50 rifle..or.. :haha: :thumbsup:

I have no idea what dates you're talking, but here's an off-the-wall suggestion.

Would you have any luck pushing for a late ML season that started a few weeks after the close of regular season, allowing a little time for them to settle down?

There's more than rest involved in that question, if the calendar is working for you. Up here our special season comes right after the regular season, but there's a catch. Regular season closes just before the rut starts, and muzzleloader season overlaps the rut. The big bucks move out of the high country and come down low looking for does. And they're nutty.

The mere fact that the special season gets you into the rut is becoming a recruiting point for new ML hunters. Though inlines are allowed here, scopes are not. In my experience with the new guys up here, the ones that get really hooked on ML hunting by starting with inlines are dead easy to convert to traditional. There's just no advantage to inlines here, while the things you can do with traditional go on and on the whole year round.

brownbear,,idea is good but... our late ml season is for 9 days after reg season...this year it ends early..dec. 16th...usually its alot closer to xmas.. problem is if ya wait,,the deer be yarded up..if they ain't already (winter late??) so it'd be a kill off if that happened...and contrary to what the smart people in Albany say ..they really ain't that many deer here..(my area) rest of state i guess is loaded! :shocked2: (according to the DEC.....)bad enough you can fill your ml tag, your bow tag, your regular season tag,and if ya have a doe permit that too....oh, the bow and ml tags..one is antlerless you choose... :surrender:

RENEGADE DAN said:
That sure is a nice lookin flintlock you have there RC. :thumbsup:
thank you! its a roy stroh 58... and i plan on usin it this season....south,,my stroh 62 smoothie is goin north! glad yer joinin up!.there be power in numbers! :thumbsup:

I've been dissapointed for years that the early SZ muzzleloading season hasn't been allowed. I pay the same $ for the ML tag as the bowhnters pay for theirs, and so short a season compared to bowhunting. Perhaps if the state hadn't allowed scopes? Then to hear bowhunters complain about giving up a week of their season-if gun hunters years ago acted like that, bowhunters would have no season at all.

BrownBear said:
I have no idea what dates you're talking, but here's an off-the-wall suggestion.

Would you have any luck pushing for a late ML season that started a few weeks after the close of regular season, allowing a little time for them to settle down?

There's more than rest involved in that question, if the calendar is working for you. Up here our special season comes right after the regular season, but there's a catch. Regular season closes just before the rut starts, and muzzleloader season overlaps the rut. The big bucks move out of the high country and come down low looking for does. And they're nutty.

The mere fact that the special season gets you into the rut is becoming a recruiting point for new ML hunters. Though inlines are allowed here, scopes are not. In my experience with the new guys up here, the ones that get really hooked on ML hunting by starting with inlines are dead easy to convert to traditional. There's just no advantage to inlines here, while the things you can do with traditional go on and on the whole year round.

GREAT Point!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Amen to that ARW. I just read on page 18 of the new york Hunting and trapping guide,. that in the future their also going to give Bowhunters the 9 days following the regular season too. which happens to be muzzleloading season. I can't understand why we pay the same fee.

RENEGADE DAN said:
Amen to that ARW. I just read on page 18 of the new york Hunting and trapping guide,. that in the future their also going to give Bowhunters the 9 days following the regular season too. which happens to be muzzleloading season. I can't understand why we pay the same fee.
dan, i'm pretty sure they already get 7 days...ain't bought my license yet so no book, but if ya check in years past,,they always have hunted after reg. season.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that I like the late season hunting that I have the pleasure of here in MT. It starts the 1st of Dec. and goes till the 15th of Jan. It is only for does but I can take up to 5. That leaves the regular season to be picky and wait for that buck to make that one mistake that makes him yours

Originally the late MLing season in the SZ of NY was for MLer hunters only. A few years back bowhunters were allowed to hunt during (I think) 7 days of this 9 day season. I'd have to read the regs to be certain, but now they can hunt the 9 days.
I wonder if the NYSMLA would really work for a genuine MLing early season, (bucks & does legal) as was originally provided for at the MLing hunting season's adoption, or seek a "token" antlerless-only season so as not to rile bowhunters? I suppose I should contact them directly & ask.
Maybe dis-allowing scopes & primer ignition might make it possible.

Back