• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late season ML hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Planning a trip for next year in Northern MO. Will ba around Christmas time. Is there any major concerns I need to check into as far as my ML is concerned? Shooting a T/C Hawken in 45 cal.

Thanks,
TH

Obtain a Missouri Hunting "Laws and Regulations" pamphlet or booklet early this Fall, and read it carefully. Comply with the laws and regs., and you should have no problems.

What are you hunting? There are different rules for different kinds of game, and different seasons.

Missouri is a great place to hunt (deer) and there are no silly regs I know of.
Get the literature and read it first.

I live in Southern MO so I know the rules and regs. Just need to know if there is anything special I need to do to insure my rifle shoots well in cold weather. I'm planning to hunt deer by the way. Going to try it alone. Just me, my rifle, and all the peace and quite I can get.

TH

Nottaclue about your weather then or what you're used to shooting in. But in case of cold weather I'd stick your lube in the freezer now and see how hard it is to apply to a patch once it's good and cold. That's the only hassle I've ever encountered in cold.

It rarely gets below freezing for long in Northern Missouri, until January, but Murphy's law says that now that I have said that, you can expect bone chilling weather in mid November! :shocked2: :shocked2: :rotf: :idunno:

In cold weather( below freezing),

the air gets so dry that you don't have to worry about your prime getting wet. You do have to be concerned about what lube you use. I recommend using a vegetable oil, down to 20 below zero, and then switch to a synthetic lube for even colder temperatures.

Use Alcohol before going out to remove ALL oil from the internal parts of your lock. Shoot the lock "dry"! You won't damage it simply because it is not oiled for a couple of hammer falls. The presence of oil in the lock is far more likely to cause a "hiccup" for you in the field, than oil in the barrel.

I hunted one year with several members of my local BP gun club, and a couple of the guys had trouble getting their guns to fire. When I took the locks off, it was clear that these men had not removed and cleaned the locks in Months or Years! I used a toothbrush in my tackle box to clean them out, then used alcohol to remove oil and debris. Once that was done, the locks worked just fine. :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
Nottaclue about your weather then or what you're used to shooting in. But in case of cold weather I'd stick your lube in the freezer now and see how hard it is to apply to a patch once it's good and cold. That's the only hassle I've ever encountered in cold.
I'll second this advice, better to know beforehand how your lube will react to the cold then you can adjust the mix long before you go.

What county are you hunting? I've hunted small game in NE MO and my black powder club operates in NE MO. Around Christmas the weather can vary so don't expect it to be the temperature what people say. It will probably be around freezing but if you are hunting NW MO it gets even colder and snows much more. But thats at least what my brother said when he went to college there.

Back