• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest Backwoodsman issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The latest issue of Backwoodsman magazine, November/December 2022, has an article "If You Could only Have One Gun" by David Langerman. He makes a good argument for that 'one gun' to be a 20 gauge smoothbore flintlock. We've all read articles of a similar kind but the author provided good reasons for the choice and provided some background I didn't know.

I happen to agree with him so, of course, it is a brilliant, cogent article. ;)

Jeff

While I don’t own one (yet), if you could only have one I’d have to agree. A 20ga/.62 flint will keep you fed with a variety of game. I think a good Northwest trade gun in 20 would be ideal.

Sounds like a good choice. He had a really good article a couple years ago about hunting with his TC New Englander. Any smoothie would be a good choice for a one gun situation but I would agree flint would be the way to go. Haven't read that article yet so now I'm looking forward to it.

Stopped by my local book store to sip a coffee and browse the magazines. I read The Backwoodsman article mentioned by the OP.
Interesting. The author also mentioned that flintlock trade guns were produced up, into the 1890's, as there was demand in the various frontiers.

I have kind of arrived at the same conclusion. The hard part is now, which one?
The classic Northwest trade guns had a reputation for rugged reliability, but I much prefer looking at the stock architecture of the French fusil de chasse. I need to find a gathering of some sort -- rendezvous, re-enactment or ML gun show -- where I can handle them side by side to see which one is the more natural fit to my face and frame. I have had a couple of Besses over the years and that narrow edge where the butt meets the wrist takes some getting used to. I never quite got comfortable with it.
Just realized it has been some time since I even saw a copy of Backwoodsman.

It will be interesting to see what Jim Kibler's future fowler will look like.
For years my state had designated "shotgun only" units and I hunted with a 12 ga slug gun many seasons (and filled many tags). If I was limited to one gun, yes - I could see a flintlock fowler for sure.

Back