• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead melting pots recommendation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a coleman stove for several years. I used a lot of gas.
I bought the #20 Lee and Have been using it ever since.

At a yard sale a few decades ago I found a gasoline roofing smelter from 1936.
Used it once, then restored it for a time when the electricity runs out.
Sits there and looks like this until then.
2016-05-30_10.43.02[1].jpg

Years [lotsa years] ago my lead melting pot was a pork and beans can, bent to form a pour spout. I melted lead in that, over a Coleman gasoline camp stove, in my backyard. Very crude, not perfect, but those balls punched holes, killed rabbits and squirrels. Primitive but workable. Polecat 🦨 :horseback: Oh yeah, ruined a few of the sweetheart's spoons dipping junk off the hot lead.

I used a coleman stove for several years. I used a lot of gas.
I bought the #20 Lee and Have been using it ever since.

At a yard sale a few decades ago I found a gasoline roofing smelter from 1936.
Used it once, then restored it for a time when the electricity runs out.
Sits there and looks like this until then.
View attachment 261453
I had one like that from the 1920's!!! A bit of a beast, but it worked! I like my bottom pour electric these days but it sure was good for cleaning lead!

I have put a few hundred pounds through a lee 4-20 and I like it a lot.
No issues to speak of and definitely makes life easier than hand ladling.

For you guys that have used the small Lee melter, would a 58 round ball be too big for the small size? It says it holds 4 lbs... That is 100 balls but of course I won't be able to cast that many without refilling the pot

Back