• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead pollution ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgesofDays

40 Cal.
Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of how much shooting in one location with lead rb`s ...what it does to ground water? or trees or whatever? the other day was out cutting some trees and found one with my chainsaw oh im glad its soft metal........

lead came outta the ground, didn't it? The largest lead deposit in the world is about 50-60 miles east of me.....and the Ozarks also have some of the best drinking water in the world.

Vic

Just my opnion but I think 98% of the pollution ploy is basically without merit.
It is a tool which is used by lawyers, the news media and others to further their cause.

Perhaps I was misinformed but I read that the modern lead pollution scare was based on a theory to explain why kids in a big city were doing so poorly on an IQ test.
So that they wouldn't have to blame the social environment which the kids were raised in, they decided the children were suffering from brain damage from eating the lead paint off of the walls!
This idea was picked up on by the Environmentalests who use any and every hype they can get ahold of to further their causes and the news media who profit by making Big stories which sell papers/ TV time.
Whole companies have been created to "Remove and Dispose" of this menace (and at a good profit I might add) and the use of these companies has been mandated by law in some towns. Paint companys have eliminated lead from their paints and replaced it with various titanium oxides (and a higher price).

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying lead in large amounts is good for people. It is not!
But IMO the small amount of lead mixed in with tens of thousands of tons of dirt at a shooting range is not going to cause any damage to anyone unless they dig out an old bullet and chew on it. ::

I have to agree that the news media takes advantage of anything that puts the shooting sports in a bad light!true or not.One of the jobs listed on an envirermental site as dangerous! is shooting instructor in the military,how many bullets have no copper jackets thease days? The idea was that this instructor would bring lead dust home on his person and cause any children in the house to have brain damage.If this isn't so much B.S. I don't doubt that large amounts of lead could cause some damage,casting lead in a closed area for long periods of time with no ventalation,or chewing on pcs.of lead might do damage ,but not as thease people would have You believe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The drinking water in my community has an arsenic content that is 100 times higher than the EPA standards.
Guess what? There are people here that are 80 and 90 years old, and they die of auto accidents.
Remember the old joke. "My doctor told me to stop drinking or I would die, so I told him there are more old drunks than there are old doctors."

I always ask myself, (Musketman, says I) who's funding the study?

Besides, lead is only bad in paint chips, right? :winking:

What about all those people who were givin a lead bullet to bite on while the "doctor" removed their tattered limbs...

Near where I used to keep my sailboat is the site of the Ithaca Gun factory. Also not far from my Dad's family homesite. The factory sits on a the side of a steep gorge, and for something like 125 years they used the other side of a gorge as a backstop to test fire shotguns and other firearms. It is a beautiful creek (Cascadilla) with waterfalls and a deep gorge just off the Cornell University campus. Two years ago the Gummint steps in and now there are huge signs warning of potential health hazards and brain damage, etc. You're not forbidden from entering the senic trails along the gorge (well, they used to be senic before all the big yellow and red signs went up, and it is recommended you wear gloves, wash your clothing seperately afterwards, do not eat nearby, etc., etc.). I anticipate lots of warnings about the trout and salmon in Cayuga Lake, just a mile downstream. I'm sure our tax dollars will be well spent surgically removing tons of lead, that probably is better just left lie.

Don't recall hearing that students ever became dumber after having attended Cornell.

Hope that Mars probe finds sumpin good. We're gonna be done ruining this planet shortly - bring on the next one.

I'm 72 now and have been casting lead since I was about 10
Yrs. old. As a kid with a .22 single shot we carried our extra ammo in our mouthes, no one told us not to, made for a fast 2nd shot. So far, no adverse effects.

I've swollowed more than one myself- 40 years ago. during a muzzleloading shoting spree that lasted some 5 or 6 years in the early 70's, I went through 475lbs. of lead in .50 cal. round balls & .44 mag fodder.(didn't muzzleload the .44 'snicker')
: The only real lead poisoning I ever heard of was the firearms officer at Depot Division, Regina when they had the old basement range - no ventilation at all. After 4years of breathing lead dust from .38's, it finally gave him dizzy spells, etc- & finally got to him, but after re-posting to Vancouver Island, he was as healthy as ever 2 years later.
: Just walking into the range, you'd "Taste" the lead in the air, coupled with bullseye powder- rather sweet tasting. BTW- anyting chemical that 'tastes' or 'smells' sweet, is usually very poisonous - like the old Rapid-Tap, tapping & cutting fluid.
Daryl

seems we pretty much agree we're being fed a line of BS and not just about lead....our Founding Fathers would not recognize the government they established.....what's a person to do?

Vic

If lead is soooooo bad for us, they every time we shoot game (deer, squirrels, rabbits, ect...), we are poisioning the meat, and thus, ourselves every time we eat what we harvest...

Just another thought ! Back in the late 40s. early 50s,I lived in a village in upstate N.Y. Ballston Spa. The goverment decided to locate the first Nuke Reactor Assembly in a natural basin located just outside the village.Of corse it was nessasary to kick all the famileys out of the basin,mattered not that many of the famileys had owned the land since the Rev. War.They proceeded to construct a huge steel ball,some 300+ feet in dia. ,into witch they put the reactor.Don't worry folks,theres no danger,state of the art tech. Etc. Well! to make a long story short! the reactor was in operation about 5 years,and guess what! some how, whoops! just a little spill.No problem! just because the fish glow in the now unfishable trout stream is nothing to worry about,in about 10,000 years down the road it will be almost as good as it was. How is it that Goverment and Big Bussiness can do thease things ,but They use things like lead,and don't eat too many eggs,and such as a smoke screen as to what the real danders are? I guess they figure there won't be enough of us old farts that remember this stuff to cause problems. Sorry about the ramble,but thease people give me indigestion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My Grandfather had a bullet in his leg for over 40 years. It was still in there when he died of a heart attack when in his 70's. He passed away many years ago, so he might have lead poisoning by now, but that's not what killed him. :winking:

Gordy, I can't believe this coincidence...I grew up on a farm right there back in the 40's/50's...lived 3 miles south of the "Atomic Project" as it was called...construction began about the time I was born right after the war.
There were a total of two huge black ball shaped facilities at the site...actually located in the township of West Milton, just a few miles NW / outside of Ballston Spa...small world :)

Got lead in my leg from back in the[url] sixties....ain[/url]'t dead yet. My Pal John has enough shrapnel in him that he collected down South America way that he carries x-rays with him when he must fly....saves a lot of time when he goes through the detectors...they look at the x-rays and then pass the wand over the corresponding areas...and let him go through....weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roudball: I was in grade school when they built them.Pine St.school in Ballston.The freight yard was right across the street .The steel segments shaped like secftions of orange peels.each took up two flat cars.They off-loaded them onto huge flatbed trailers,pulled by the biggest trucks I've ever seen.They would haul them out rt.67 to middleline Rd. and on to West Milton. Theres a Life magazine with a photo of the first completed ball on the cover,early 50s. If Your family lived in the area for a few generations You may well be a relative.The Kemps have been in the area of N.Y.S. since the F&I war.Crown Point before 1750. If You can drop Me an E-mail at [email protected] still have much family in the general area West,North and milton Center Greenfield Center, Schuylerville Saratoga,Northville ,ballston and elsewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I know it's off topic but I just love to read what you fella's write who's families have been around a certain part of the country for generations and generations. In a silly sort of way, thanks.

Vic

Isn't it neat reading about families that have been on the same land for generations? My mother and father were born in two different states, and moved to a third state where they met and married. When I grew up, I moved to a fourth state.

Latest posts

Back