• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead price

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
what is the going price of pre poured pigs of lead per lb.? TIA

I don't know the current price, but its being dictated by USA panic buying and NOT by orders from Red China. China has not ordered or bought any metal from the USA since this past April. If you buy some lead, buy only enough for current needs. The price will be coming down. It has to. With the military ending its use of lead for ammunition, and China not buying it, the market is going to lose a lot of its buyer pressure on prices. If you can wait it out, you will save money. It may be that China is waiting for the price to come down, too.

The last retail price of new pure lead was $2 per lb. that I saw.

Midwayusa wants $2.89 per lb. now :shocked2: crazy.

Isn't there only one lead plant in the USA? Didn't it have to shut down for repairs? Ok that what I was told.

Just paid $.50 per pound of pure lead in ingots from a private party............... not bad even at Alaska prices. I think if you look around you can get a good price.

I'm getting my lead free from my dentist..every 2 or 3 months, he gives me a baggie full of those little lead shields used in oral x-rays...seems to be just enough to match my shooting...Hank

if you can find a plumber that has set back lead ingots from time past when the lead/oakum seal was used for iron pipe they may let you have it cheap. or maybe lead sheeting that was used in shower stalls before they went to vinyl.

hank said:
I'm getting my lead free from my dentist..every 2 or 3 months, he gives me a baggie full of those little lead shields used in oral x-rays...seems to be just enough to match my shooting...Hank
You're lucky; mine won't because of insurance worries.

I bought a 100 lbs. from a bullet Mfg. Co, in Utah last May for $1.30 Per. lb. very clean and pure. I was at the Rondy in Ft. Bridger, Wy. this past week. The going price for dead lead was $1.50 per. lb.

Tag, get your insurance agent to tell him that there is no insurance problem...at one time I wrote the liability insurance on 60,000 members of the ADA, and it wouldn't have bothered me a bit...Hank

Thanks guys I have more than I wil live long enough to use, my gad is going to sell some of his at a flea market and I was looking for a starting place for him to price it, we have never purchased lead in our lives so had no idea what he should try to charge, thanks again you have given me a good stating point for him.

Find a dental office and offer to take their lead for free. They usually have to pay someone to dispose of it. My sister works in a dental office and currently has a box of lead waiting for me. She said it is very heavy but I don't know how much it weighs. It is xray lead. Suppose to be pure. We'll see.

Stars & Bars, sure...my dentist said it was a saving to him. He'd had a patient before me who took his lead, used it to make fishing weights, but he'd moved, so my dentist was really happy. The gal who collects it amuses herself by calling every few months and saying, "get the lead out..." and I show up for my supply...Hank

I have been reclaiming lead from the range berm cost nothing. I collect wheel weights when possible and am often given pieces of pure or near pure lead.

I agree with the earlier posts. If you need to buy much lead, wait it out. We sell shot and our cost has gone from about $15.00 per 25lb. bag to $36.00 currently. And even at $36.00 you are lucky if you can find any to buy. This has happened in just the last 12 to 18 months. Sooner or later it will come down. Stick to the wheel weights or the dentist office for now.

A plumbing supply store down the road from me has 5 pound blocks for $1.77 a pound.

fw707 said:
A plumbing supply store down the road from me has 5 pound blocks for $1.77 a pound.
That is a great buy consider the current state of things.

Latest posts

Back