• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayja

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know when or where lead was first used as ammo,
and did the Europeans get lead from us or was there lead in europe other than Russia?

The Romans were using lead balls in slings over 2,000 years ago. Lead has almost always been the projectile material of choice regardless of propulsion method.

I have read that the Greek slings were armed with lead projectiles with lightning bolts on them at Thermopolaey (spelling)

Many Klatch

:v The Roman slingers also used football shaped cast lead projectiles. I have cast a few of these in a plaster cast and used them with a suitable sling---they are rather deadly when they strike and have deformed. However, my accuracy would not have qualified for that dubious honor---thank God for my M-1, it saved my biscuit more than one occasion. :thumbsup:

Another tidbit, the Romans had lead water pipes. Can you imagine the lead poisoning! Uncrichie.

We had lead water pipes comming from a spring thru a pasture (about 550yds) to the house and cow barn til 1955.

Stumpkiller said:
LOTS of folks had lead water pipes in the U.S. That's where I get most of my scrap lead - pipes from old houses!

It was added to gasoline, paint, solder on canned foods, ceramic glazes, etc.

"Plumbing" comes from the latin word for lead.

The romans had lead rotting thier brains, but most of it wasn't from the plumbing, some of it was from thier wine directly because of lead stoppers, but most of it was from "sappa" which was fruit juice concentrated by boiling it in lead vessels.

They loved sappa and used it to sweeten and flavor wine, and many of thier dishes.

It's the sweet stuff that always gets ya.

Latest posts

Back