• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Pouch Plans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a search to no avail, but it seemed to me that there were some good Shooting Pouch plans submitted a long while back!

I want to make me a couple of new bags/pouches for a couple guns I have, but need a little steering in the right direction. I used to do some leather, so I'm not totally going in blind.

Anyone have any plans they would share or know where to get some? PM me or let all of us know!

Thanks,
Rick

Rick, here's another source at the Log Cabin shop that I'll be ordering myself. This book is only sketches, but from what I understand Jim Webb is a pretty good bag maker in his own right. The book is entitled, "SKETCHES OF HUNTING POUCHES, POWDER HORNS, AND ACCOUTREMENTS OF SOUTHERN APPALACHIA", by Jim Webb.

I tried pasting the direct link at the Log Cabin shop, but doesn't work. Sooo, if you go to http://www.logcabinonline.com/index1.html

you'll be able to go to select Books on the left menu, select Americana and go to page two to see the book.

Hope I didn't make this more complicated than needed. Good luck.
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick,

I make all of my own patterns out of poster board. The trick is to fold a section of poster board in half lengthwise and draw a "half" pattern from the fold. Once your draw out your "half" pattern...cut it out and open it up. You now have a perfectly simmetrical pattern.

Just remember...if you want your bag to be 8 inches wide, you will only need to measure out 4 inches from the fold so it will be 8 inches when you open it up.

Thanks guys! I can usually look at something long enough to figure it out, :hmm: :cursing: but some of the leather bags and pouches are something else for this Horner! Some of those interior and exterior pockets and gusset construction are impossible to see from a photo. I really hand it to you leather craftsman for your expertise! Thanks!

Rick :hatsoff:

Hunting pouches are sort of a personal thing because we all carry different gear- let's say you want room for a flint and steel and maybe a co2 dispenser, some one else carries a minimum amount of gear. I usually buy cheap vinyl and make a practice bag out of that. As far as the details- that's too wide a subject. Think about what type of bag you are interested in and then ask about a specific problem(s). I think that would be the most expedient way to answer your questions. Ask lots of questions. And as I said- I've never regretted making a practice bag first- a lot of times you may want to add a 1/4" here or take it away some place else. :wink:

Latest posts

Back