• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Question ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This may sound dumb :idunno: But what do you guys use to lay out patterns on leather ? I have been using Sharpie markers is there a better way?

I use pencil or a very fine pen, but mostly pencil. I don't like to see the small part of the marker line I didn't cut all the way off later on. :wink:

Pencil also puts a line into the leather a bit so even if the lead isn't visible, the line is. YMMV

SMO - Depends on what type leather Im working with but I also use pencil or at times I'll use a scratch awl.

Scratch Awl for any leather with a smooth side. Sometimes it will work on rough leather too, not always.

I think this is elk i'm dealing with. :idunno: Its been to long since i bought it and i don't remember. :shake: I got a bad case of CRS! I don't know enough about leather to tell by looking at it ,but it kind of stretchy.I don't think a pencil would work on this.If i was using veg-tan then it would,but this is really soft leather.

Just make sure how your pattern pieces are placed and trace with marker on the inside of the leather. Take your time cutting the pieces out and you should be fine.

I use regular pencil and the silver blue print marking pencil . The silver works good on sft leathers .

Bubba45 said:
the silver blue print marking pencil . The silver works good on sft leathers .
I've never seen one of those :idunno: Where can i get one ?

Thanks for all the help guys, :thumbsup: I started a small hunting bag today for the small horn i just picked up. I need a bag for my .32 squirrel rifle any way. :thumbsup: Any more tips would be greatly appreciated as well. :hatsoff:

If it is really soft leather I make a paper pattern from paper grocery bags and tape it all around and use a pair of heavy, sharp shears.

I don't know enough about leather to tell by looking at it ,but it kind of stretchy
I would HIGHLY recommend you pre-stretch it especially if you are making clothes.
Dampen it thoroughly - not sopping wet, just wet enough, then stretch it - either use a frame and rope or just nail it up on the side of a shed or barn, etc.and leave until dry.
If you can put it in the sun that's good if not just make sure it's dry - I like to leave mine for 48 hours when possible.
If it stiffens up a bit after stretching it will either soften up as you work it or you can "break" it over the rounded edge of a 1" x 4" or 6".

Good tip about the stretching, while your not making clothes, Elk and Buckskin stretches one direction more than the other,,
The hide has a "grain",,and the stretch factor should be considered when laying out your pattern.

I use an ink pen, but like swampy said be careful cutting, under scrutiny a line left from a pen on the finished product does take away from the looks.

yep...ink lines do make a difference...on the other hand...i use white ink for dark leathers and black ink for lighter leathers...very easy to see and cut away...at least for me...i use a scratch awl quite often,,,but they are difficult to use on soft "stretchy" leather...just my two cents

God Bless

Lee

Latest posts

Back