• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfcbuf

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a stain for some leather knife sheaths. Would rather not buy leather stain via mail order or on-line. Would a suitable color wood stain from hardeware store work on leather.

Any particular kind best..water based, petroleum based, alcohol based etc??

Anyone tried using wood stain on leather?

I have used alcohol stains with very good results. Trans Tint makes excellent stains although expensive.

Normally when you use a water based stain on wood you follow it up by putting a good finish over it to protect it from moisture. Water based wood stains on leather might bleed on you if it gets wet. I once saw a very fine longhunter shirt ruined at a rendezvous when a dark leather belt bled out during a rain.

Oil based stains might work but then again depending on what you use, could cause your leather crack

You might try the stains you have on some scrap leather and see how it reacts and holds up.

Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Joe

Why not find a local Shoe repair store, and buy your dyes through them? If any one knows what dyes work best on leather, THEY DO! If they don't have it on their shelf, they are usually happy to order it for you. At least that has been my happy experience.

Another source to check to find out brand names, would be the Tandy Leather Company. Check its on-line site, and catalog. The do a search on the brand of dyes its selling, to locate the company, and find a local retailer who carries their products.

Never hesitate to ask the manufacturer about the use of its products for any project you have. They are happy to be asked, rather than hearing from some upset customer, who used the wrong product and ruined something.

You can use aquafortis on veg tan leather for a black color. Just in case you have some lying about.

The dies sold by Tandy are very good and not all that pricey, IMO.

As stated, your local shoe repair shop will have leather dye. Also a tack shop will have leather dye. Your local craft store should also have it.

I don't know anything about using wood stain on leather, but there are always a bunch of sources for leather dyes around town. Most any hobby shop will have a leather working section along with the dyes. Sometimes you can even find them in the hobby section of larger Walmarts and other department stores. Most cities have a Tandy Leather store or something similar.

I found a rescipe for leather dye real simple. Get some apple cider vingar and a handful of rusty iron (nails and wire) place in mason jar let it sit in the sun for a week or two. It works great.

I've used minwax wood stain on leather several times. It takes a couple of days to dry, but it works fine. It doesn't soak into the leather as deeply as leather dye, but I've never had a problem with it rubbing off. It works great if it's all you have to work with.

I'm currently using Febings leather dye, and it dries almost immediately. I add a coat of brown shoe polish on top to seal the dye. It works great.

I wood stained some leather once and the stain smell just wouldn't go away.
Maybe Swamp Rat will let go of his leather stain secret! Its pretty sharp! :thumbsup:

I was going to try strong coffee or tea on my next sheath. I dip it in water anyway when I form the veg. tanned leather around the blade and handle. It does wonders on bone or antler.

I have used left over coffee to stain rawhide but haven't tried it on processed leather. Heres a pic of a rawhide shot pouch I made showing the color.

I have used Danglers and Laurel Mountain gunstock stains before on some projects. So I don't see why any of the store bought stuff wouldn't work for ya.

shotpouch6.jpg

I finished up this knife today at work and tried dying the veg. tanned with the tea. Just dipped it for about 15 seconds before I formed it. Didn't turn out too bad. The top piece is a before the dip.

100_1233.jpg
[/img]

back when i was a kid i remember my daddy making stain from plug chewing tobacco, kerosene and pitch. as i recall the color of the stain was determined by the length of time the pitch and tobacco were left in the kerosene, then it was a matter of washing and air drying the smell of kerosene away however, he also used neets foot oil for waterproofing, staining light colored leather and to help dissapate the kerosene smell. Daddy was a Taxidermist...Lee

shooter_250 said:
back when i was a kid i remember my daddy making stain from plug chewing tobacco, kerosene and pitch. as i recall the color of the stain was determined by the length of time the pitch and tobacco were left in the kerosene, then it was a matter of washing and air drying the smell of kerosene away however, he also used neets foot oil for waterproofing, staining light colored leather and to help dissapate the kerosene smell. Daddy was a Taxidermist...Lee
I heard of using of alcohol in place of the kerosene. To keep the smell down.

Back