• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Read my patch...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
.54 GM barrel
90 gr. Swiss 2fg
.530 RB
.015 pillow tick w/ TOTW mink oil

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Another one...
My input is, your patches do not look all that bad, however they could be better. IMO, they show signs of definite blow by. They also show signs of sharp edges in the bore. I suggest you try a .018 patch. My .54 GPR likes a .018 patch, Mink Oil and 90 grains of 3F with a .530 RB. It is to my belief that what I mentioned above will tighten up your groups overall. Your ML will break in after a while, thus the sharp edges will become a non-factor over time.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Not good! Should be no cutting of the patch material where it rides the bore. You can get acceptable accuracy with a patch like that but it can definitely do better. Polish the bore, Polish and shape the muzzle/crown and try the same patching and maybe thicker if it will load.

I see a little bit of land abrasion in both patches. The second one shows some cutting at the crown. Gas blow by is a given taking into account the high pressure. All patches will show some evidence of blow by. I'd like to see both sides of a couple of patches. @ETipp has some good points.

The barrel has been shot for almost a decade by it's previous owner.
Could it still be sharp?
First I would try .018 patches. Your ML most likely will like them and your groups should prove it. Maybe that’s all need be done.

If there’s still some cutting, I would lightly lap the barrel/polish the barrel.

FWIW, you might already know this but not all ticking is created equal. Do yourself a huge favor and order some high quality ticking.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Not good! Should be no cutting of the patch material where it rides the bore. You can get acceptable accuracy with a patch like that but it can definitely do better. Polish the bore, Polish and shape the muzzle/crown and try the same patching and maybe thicker if it will load.
Indeed, could be an issue at the crown as well. Good point, Cruiser.

I hope to cone the muzzle on my GPR soon to facilitate loading and no more short starter. That will take care of any crown issue if one is damaged on any ML. I do not have that issue on mine but coning the muzzle is a win-win.

My first question would be what does your target look like? Do you have a group or are your shots all over the place? In my experience where the balls are going is more important than what a patch looks like. I have had new rifles in the past which just shredded the patches but the shots were in a nice group. Over the next 50 shots those groups closed up to one hole as the barrel got broke in. It's more fun to shoot it to break the barrel in than all that other stuff.

Back