• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leather wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norwood

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have started using overpowder wads (felt).n my .451 Mortimer whitworth (On advice form another forum)worked like magic,I ran out of felt so tried cutting 12mm discs from cured buckskin (blesbok)This seems even better. so I tried it in my very old .50 1in 48 rifle with the same 320 gr real bullets that I have been hunting with for many years with a dramatic improvement.I have never relied on this rifle for longer than 50 yard shots on antelope,I am now able to get 10 out of 10 into a 5inch disc at80 yards( my test for effective/ethical hunting range Just shows old dogs can learn new trick. Any of you guys any experience wit leather/wads ingeneral on rifles

no I haven't tried leather myself.
But would be a bit expensive for serious day to day shooting at targets. but some thin old worn out belts would likely work for material.

Many leatherworkers have scraps - the local Tandy leather sells them for a couple of bucks the bag. (Good to try different thicknesses).

It gets better than felt wads? Wow! I have so many new tricks to try, deer skin patches and now leather wads. I need more powder! Before this is over I'll be trying a flintlock. :haha: :slap:

I have used leather wads in both my smoothbores with shot , and my rifles for over fifteen years. Simply because I have a free source of leather scraps from a harness shop, and I can make any size punch I need. I first started using them hunting with heavily greased mini's to keep the grease from fouling the powder and moved on from there. I find they give me an improved seal and prevent patch burning. :idunno: :idunno:

Back