• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaving one's gun loaded

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether one leaves a load in a clean bbl for extended periods of time and/or how long after the shot a fouled bbl is left uncleaned, are decisions of the shooter/hunter and his/her frame of mind. There have been no definitive tests proving anything asre the 2 above situations.

Personally, I leave a load in a clean bbl indefinitely until a shot is made, usually at game.

I've hunted w/ a fouled bbl for 3 days after the shot w/o any ill affects to the bbl. This isn't normal for me seeing I usually clean when returning from hunting....but, I have also delayed the cleaning after the following day's hunt again w/ no ill effects to the bbl.

Peace of mind is what it's all about....some shooters/hunters can't sleep nights if their MLer is left loaded in a clean bbl and/or if the fouled bbl is left uncleaned.

Whatever way suits the individual is the way to go.....don't really think there's a "right way or wrong way" w/in REASON. Rusty bores can happen w/ extended neglect, but "neglect" is word that can have different meanings depending on the person....Happy shooting.....Fred

I do the same thing for the length of a season.

A few years ago on another forum a guy stated that he never cleans his guns nor had he ever. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I'm positive I've seen his gun at the local gun show.

Rust so thick it's almost crawling out of the end of the barrel. :(

As Buggs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!".

clean bore, leave it loaded. If it is a rifle be careful. My experience is that with a rifle that is loaded for quite a while the impact will be several inches higher. I think the load sticks I in the bore a little.

I know of several top world class shooter that do not clean their bores after shooting and no rust.

I just came home from the world long range matches in NC and several of the guys never cleaned their bores after the matches. They pull the nipples and clean. They clean between shots, but put the rifles away dirt. They claim no rust, ever, and it was very humid last week.

I would NEVER run a wet patch down a rifle and put it away. Need to oil it after a patch with water.

fleener

I have left my BP rifle loaded until the end of BP season along with regular firearms season.
I never leave a rifle loaded overnight that has been shot the same day. I have pulled them out
with a ball puller bit of a PITA but doable.

Lee Shaver of MO is the one that promotes that practice. He is a maker of ML and full time gun smith. He also just got second place overall at the world long range ML matches in NC.

At the world match I was cleaning after each day of shooting. I would have little rust color the next day in the barrel. I cleaned the heck out of the barrel and oiled like crazy as humidity was high.

One night I just ran a oiled patch down my barrel without really cleaning my bore. Could not bring myself to not do something. No rust the next day.

Fleener

Back