• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee “rifling engraved at loading” bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .58 cal hawken 1x48 twist and after using patched RBs which were pretty good I saw the mold for a REAL bullet got it and it worked great. no more patches or ball starter. REAL easy to load a good payload. like another guy said about fingering lube I do that with crisco no felt wad used
My 45 cal TC likes the 440 200 gr Real Lee 90405 mold. I used to use Crisco or Bore Butter but switched to SPG lube and the accuracy improved. Have I said I really dislike Bore Butter before?

I have the .45 200 grain mold. Haven't really worked up a load for them yet but the few I have shot seemed to perform about as well as the round balls I was shooting. I haven't tried a wad in between powder and bullet yet. I did lube the bullet with beeswax/oil. I will note that mine are coming out at about 212 grains.

Anybody had experience with this bullet/mold from Lee? I am building a .58 Alan box lock w/ slow twist and am considering giving it a go.
Tom
Agree about the light charge. If you can experiment, try with 1% tin 2% max. I get better accuracy out of Parker Hale 1858 Navy 40 gr.

Back