• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lee 501 cast bullet in a 1-48"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedgoat44

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello! I'm going to try IdahoRon"s recommendation and paper patch a lee 501 440 grain bullet out of pure lead for antelope, deer, and possibly elk. Anyone else try this load? I'm hoping that 70 - 80 grains of goex 3f gets me around 1200fps in my investarms hawken.
Has anyone messed around with this type of leading before in a 1-48" twist? I assume the bullet is short enough to stabilize well enough, as it's kind of a stubby. I don't intend to hotrod it beyond this powder charge as it doesn't seem necessary with a pure lead bullet of this design. I've appreciate your thoughts on this combination. Thanks!

That's a fascinating load that Ron uses, to good effect. My load of 65gr of FFFg under the 50 caliber pure lead T/C 355gr Maxihunter conical cronagraphed at 1,180 fps out of the 26" Renegade barrel. That was with the 1"/48" twist.
You should be close.

Latest posts

Back