• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee REAL bullets in a round ball barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swquiro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone ever shoot the short Lee REAL bullets in a round ball barrel? Toby Bridges says they will shoot as well as a prb in a slow twist barrel. Would like to know your experience. Thanks

Anyone ever shoot the short Lee REAL bullets in a round ball barrel? Toby Bridges says they will shoot as well as a prb in a slow twist barrel. Would like to know your experience. Thanks

They do in my .54cal GPR.

The smaller sized REAL will shoot all right in my 1-66 twist .50 caliber Hawkins, but it shoots roundball better...

The smaller sized REAL will shoot all right in my 1-66 twist .50 caliber Hawkins, but it shoots roundball better...

Same here, cayugad. I:66 In the Penn Hunter, and 1:48 in the Hawken, both in 50 cal....hardly any difference with the REAL, But the Penn Hunter does shoots the RB better.

As a side note; I always use a wad when shooting the flat base REAL bullets in the .50 cal, and I feel sure that has a lot to do with their performance.
I still don't have a wad punch for a .54 cal, and I feel equally sure that is one reason for the somewhat poor performance of the REAL in my .54's. Those "wonder Wads" are just a bit steep for my blood, and a simple milk carton wad does just as well....when you've got something to cut 'em with.

Russ

Heck Russ, what with all this lousy wet weather we have been having in western Wash, and Ore., you got plenty of time to cut them out 1 at a time with scissors. To nasty to go out and do much of anything else. ::

I have Lee "REAL" molds in both .45 cal (250 grain) and .50 cal. (320 grain). My son, son-in-law and I have all shot them in the past in guns with 1:66 and 1:48 twist for deer hunting. We also use a over powder wad as mentioned by others. They are capabile of groups of 1 1/2" to 2" @ 50 yards and 3" @ 100 yards. Each bullet provides good knock down power out to 100 yards and slightly beyond.

:results:

Well the REALs are very short bullets, so that's why they do well in slow twist barrels...as bullets get longer, they require more twist. A round ball is of course as short as you can get a bullet, (unless you shot a wafer I guess) so they need little twist, and, having little bearing surface a slow twist also helps to keep them from jumping the rifling.

I know that REALs shoot well in shallow groove, minnie ball rifles...I use the 440 grain (actually casts out to 456)REAL in my two minnie rifles. Have often wondered how they do in deeper groove round ball barrels.

I've always thought that if you had a good round ball barrel, one wouldn't "want" to poke any kind of slug down it, but I guess in the smaller calibers, .50" and under they could be of value to produce some additional energy. I have never shot anything with my REAL yet, but just looking at the nose shape, and the sharp shoulder tells me that they would have great "whompability".

Rat

Greater "whompability" is just the reason for my interest in the Lee REAL bullets. I have a custom .45 caplock, put together by Keith Casteel, that is a joy to behold and handle, and it shoots superbly. I have taken a number of deer with it, but I have to admit there have been several near-losses, even with hits in the boiler room. These shots were beyond 50 yards. The use of the REAL bullets might put this rifle in a different league, and I will definitely try them. Thanks for your input.

Oh yes, the rifle will definately be a different animal with a REAL in it.

Rat

I shoot the REAL 50 cal. 320 gr. in my 1-48" Hawken. I have taken 4 deer with it so far, 3 in the "boiler room" and one in the throat head on (he went over backwards, 20 yds.) the other three were 35-50 yd. shots and they didn't go far before they ran out of gas. I am very happy with the REAL.

Back