• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left eye dominant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm left eye dominent but have always shot right handed.
With my rifles, I tend to close my left eye, and when shooting pistols, I just aim with my left eye.

The only place shooting this way has caused me any problem is with shotguns and bird hunting.
Because IMO, shotguns are pointed rather than aimed, and I use both eyes and my upper body to point the gun. Therein lies the problem.
You need both eyes open to judge distance but the left eye wants to "grab" the front sight. This results in the gun being pointed to the left of the bird.

Shots with the bird passing from right to left seem to be easy to hit (kind of a automatic "lead"), but if the bird is passing from left to right, I might as well save the ammunition. :cry:

This is exactly what it's like for me, too! I never connected the direction of the moving target with my right hand / left eye dominance, though. Thank you for mentioning that, Zonie - I just thought I needed more practice when I stand to the right of the thrower! I've always had problems on that side - now I know why! :thanks: for "pointing" that out (no pun intended!)!

My right eye is way better than my left eye, from all the years of shooting. When I built My M1 Garrand, I used a off-set scope mount, and use my left eye to fire scoped, and right to use battle sights.

Ive found out that my stare down the barrel of me flinter doesnt waiver any more. So before I go to rondy, I take out the M1 and go fire 20-30 rds then the next weekend go and shoot rondy.

I have been shooting LH all of my life. You don't need to get a LH gun to shoot. I have more RH guns and don't have any problems with shells.
:m2c: :front:

I have been shooting LH all of my life. You don't need to get a LH gun to shoot. I have more RH guns and don't have any problems with shells.
:m2c: :front:

That's true, but you *will* get burned every now and then! I got burned a few times shooting cartridge autoloading rifles as a kid.

The other day was my first muzzleloading experience, with a right-hand rifle. I wore long sleeves, and... you guessed it, my right sleeve got a couple of burns!

I have a left-hand Lyman GPR on its way to me right now. :results:

Anyway, I'm left-handed, and left-eye dominant. Always have been. But, I've shot right-handed with my right eye every now and then, and I'm not totally uncomfortable doing so. I play a few sports right-handed, too.

Latest posts

Back