• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left-handed available?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray-Vigo

Yankee
Reaction score
I've wanted a flintlock rifle for some years now, but have never found a gun that suits my needs. I'm an avid history buff regarding the guns present in the time of the American Revolution, and really am interested in an eastern-style rifle in the Penn, Virginia, Kentucky, or general southern style. The catch is that I'm left-handed and would be entirely new to muzzleloaders (I've handled them before and generally know how they work, but never have actually used one). I've seen some left-handed guns around like the Lyman Great Plains, but it just doesn't grab me the way the old eastern style guns do. I'd be using it mainly for target practice at the local range. I don't hunt and I don't do reenactment skirmishes or the like.

Is there a left-handed eastern-style long rifle available today at a reasonable, entry-level sort of price?

Failing that my options would be to learn how to shoot right handed (I learned to shoot left handed on a normal, small caliber modern target rifle) or to attempt to shoot a righty gun left-handed.

Any thoughts on these options?

I'm at the point now where I'm just pricing and looking for a potential gun. But I've sort of struck a wall here looking for an eastern-style flintlock that hits the proper price point and is a lefty gun.

What is your price range? Entry level and flintlock should never be uttered in the same breath. A cheap flintlock is a miserable thing to have to live with.

It's possible to find a nice used left hand flinlock rifle. Check Track of the Wolf for some idea of what's available. If there happens to be no left hand rifles on the site, give them a call.

Dixon's is another strong possibility.

Also check The Gun Works in Oregon. I've stopped in the shop to drool and buy, and they're really decent folks with a big selection. I'm a lefty and keep an eye on their offerings. Last time I checked they had a number of them, some that looked like what you want for less than a grand.

Ray-Vigo said:
Is there a left-handed eastern-style long rifle available today at a reasonable, entry-level sort of price?

I'm a lefty, also.
It sounds to me that you're asking for a close replica for a real historical firearm. For that the Lyman, Traditions, etc. just will not do.
So, for an "entry-level" gun that closely resembles a real historical firearm - the short answer is "No".
However, starting from a low end of about $600. you can get a good quality kit, left-handed, from several companies. The next step up would be to buy a gun "in-the-white". These are all done except for putting on the final finish. Basically, you just have to brown the metal and stain the stock. A good quality completed truely historically representative rifle will start at $900. to $1000. and quickly go up from there.
Check these out. There are others. www.avsia.com/tvm www.trackofthewolf.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet would be tol check the rifles at Jim Chambers Flintlocks or Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders (aka TVM). There are many others but these two are a good stsrt in your search and both have fine guns. If you can't afford to buy one of their finished rifles, they also offer kits, at a signiicantly reduced price, so you can build it yourself. Oh, don't forget to look at what Sitting Fox has to offer. You can find each of these folks by doing a Google search using the names that I gave you. Then, there is Track of The Wolf who is worthy of a look. The list goes on and on. Good luck in your search. Did I fail to mention keeping an eye on the ads on this forum?

I am relatively new to left-handed shooting, having lost use of my right eye four or five years ago. Mostly I shoot right handed rifles from the left shoulder. The only left-handed rifle I have is an early Virginia .50 cal that I had made by TVM about two years ago. http://www.avsia.com/tvm

I could not be happier. At 50 yds, it is more accurate than any of my open-sighted cartridge guns. I had to sell some pieces from my accumulation (it would be a collection if it had a theme :rotf: ) to come up with the $1,100. It was well worth it. As someone else said, do not buy a cheap flintlock -- been there, done that. :(

Tip Curtis (615-654-4445) carries several left handed gun configurations. I know he has some in the white, and would think he has some finished as well.
Roger Sells

Thank you for the suggestions.

When you mention an "in the white" gun, what exactly remains to be done on it? Is it entirely assembled and just needs to be stained or the like? What has to be done and how difficult is it to do?

I don't have much wood working experience, though I have worked on cars and bicycles over the years, so I can probably do basic tasks, but not something extensive or difficult.

In the white means final sanding and stain and sealer or oil finish. You should also look at Caywood as they have a few guns you might like as well. There site has a lot of pics and a good source of options. any gun they make you can get other barrels to drop in and change out.

John

Well, I'm not looking for a dead-on replica of an actual gun, but something that approximates the guns of that era. It need not be perfect, but be something traditional that approimates the old eastern type rifles like Penn/Kentucky/Virginia etc.

Is shooting a righty flintlock a viable thing for a left handed shooter? Some of the Pedersoli guns look nice and I've heard good things about their quality. Though they don't have any left handers.

Is an lefty gun necessary for a lefty shooter, or do right handed guns work well? Any other lefty shooters here with experience or comparisons are certainly welcomed too.

You will be better off with a left handed gun. Pedersolis are horribly over-priced and their rifles are not even close to any rifle that existed in period. If you want a rifle that is representative of an American longrifle, and all you require is a long barrel and average mass produced quality you may be satisfied with a Pedersoli. Good luck with that. A bunch of Pedersoli owners will probably jump in to tell you that their Pedersoli is the best thing since sliced bread, built with Rolls Royce quality and that on Sunday morning the wondrous thing serves them breakfast in bed and even does the dishes! Believe what you want.

For about the same money you can get a used semi custom that will look like the real deal and have quality parts in it. Check the web-sites you've been given, especially Track, Dixon's and TVA. Get yourself a nice American longrifle, not some over priced cartoon imitation. You may think that the Pedersolis "look nice", but when you learn more, you'll realise they don't look like anything at all. I'd guess that a gun-in-the-white from Dixon's will be your best bet. Quality parts, well fitted. looks like it ought to, and a lot of money saved. American made too.

"Is shooting a righty flintlock a viable thing for a left handed shooter?"

It is certainly possible. I find a flintlock less trouble than a percussion. Wearing short sleeves (most of the year down here), my right arm gets peppered from the nipple on the percussion, and that does not happen with a flinter.

That being said, you will be much happier with a rifle built for a lefty. The stock is a much better fit if there is any cheekpiece at all. I shoot lefthanded with both types of rifle, but I find that I can shoot much better, and more comfortably, with the one left-handed rifle that I own, a flint long rifle.

It sounds to me then as if the extra cost and trouble is worth it in terms of having a bit better gun with a good left hand set up. I'll keep building my funds for it. I tend to think a finished gun might be better for me since then I'll know it was done right. The Earlyrustic website looks good, as does Tenn. Valley Muzzleloading. Some of the others that are more classified type pages have nice guns (both new and used), though nothing matching what I'd like appears currently. I'll have to try back at them periodically.

Ray-Vigo said:
Some of the others that are more classified type pages have nice guns (both new and used), though nothing matching what I'd like appears currently. I'll have to try back at them periodically.

That's the secret.

HI i am a new forum member but i shoot left handed..i am cureently working on a fowler left handed that i got as a kit.. i think i paid a little more than i should but i am enjoying working on it..i know track has several kits in lh as well as pecontonic river longrifles...my friend also has a left handed lock that was made in the 18th century..glad to know there are a few of us cursed and forgotten south paws..

Back