• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leman Fullstock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungGunner

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you all thought on this kit? It might be awhile, but I'm considering a rifle kit like this in a .54 caliber barrel to save up for. The green mountain barrel is good, the L&R Leman Percussion lock is supposedly good, and the period they were made is about right for RMFT so lemme know your feelings. http://www.longrifles-pr.com/lemanfull.shtml
(It would more than likely replace my CVA hawken AFTER the upcoming hunting season)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the TOTW Leman fullstock "kit" almost 4 years ago. Pecatonica and TOTW parts sets are essentially the same as near as I can tell. I did substitute the Davis double set trigger for the single and the Siler Mountain Lock for the L&R. Also went with the 36" x .58 cal GM barrel and all iron furniture. It's been a slow build for me, not because the parts are a problem, but I can't get the builder to stay on task :idunno:. I've already got the barrel, tang and lock inlet, so ask me in another 4 or 5 years and it might be done. I like the looks of a Leman . . .

What all do one of the kits entail in terms of work? Do you have to make the threading for the breech plug and (on percussion) make the threading for the drum?

First off, I'll say that Pecatonica River is one of the better places to do business with.
Dick Greensides, the owner, is a great guy and knows his trade.

That said, the Leman is perhaps the easiest of the "kits" sold by them, but this doesn't mean it is real easy.

Unlike the Kits sold by Traditions, Lyman and the other factories the kits sold by PR, TOTW, Chambers etc all require much more to put them together.
The payoff is that these gun "kits" can make very accurate recreations of some of the real guns that were made back "in the day" and they use some of the best American hardware available anywhere.

Where the Lyman, Traditions etc factory kits are their standard offerings in a unfinished condition requiring not much more than some sandpaper, finish oil and a screw driver the type of "kit" you asked about is not much more than a box of unfinished hardware.

The buttplate, trigger guard etc are rough sand castings that will require filing, sanding and polishing.

None of the holes that hold things together are drilled or threaded. The barrel will be a very tight fit in the barrel channel and the rear of the barrel channel will require the use of chisels to square it up and position the barrel.

The barrel usually is not breeched so you will have to install the breech plug. This requires some fine filing and a little profanity.

The butt plate is unfinished and the rear of the stock is not cut for it. It will require laying out the length of pull, sawing off some wood, reshaping the wood to match the butt plate, locating the screw holes and drilling them thru the metal and drilling the undersize holes for the screws into the wood.

The lock won't fit the mortice they cut and it will require some trimming and fitting with an exacto knife to get it installed.

The trigger slot isn't cut and the trigger plate isn't installed, nor is the trigger guard.

I could go on but this should give you an idea of what is envolved.

Note: For a small fee, Dick will install the breech plug, cut the barrels sight dovetails, cut the stock for the butt plate, install the barrel underlugs and a few other things for a very nominal price. Be sure to check it out, especially barrel breech and dovetails.

If your serious about building this gun you really need to buy a book that explains how to do it. Dick also will sell you a good book on the subject and I think he gives a discount if you buy the kit from him.

Also, visit the Gunbuilders Bench here on the forum. It will not only show you a lot of the things our members are working on, it is set up to answer any and all of your questions.

Now, after all of that, to answer your question in a simple way, a Factory kit like a Lyman or Traditions will take about 10--25 hours to put together and you will end up with a gun that is a little better than a factory gun.

A kit from PR, TOTW or the others will require at least 120 hours of work and often 160+ hours of your time. You will end up with an excellent rifle that is only available to people who can and will take the time to build it themselves or pay over $1000 to have a gunbuilder make it for you.

Zonie said:
Note: For a small fee, Dick will install the breech plug, cut the barrels sight dovetails, cut the stock for the butt plate, install the barrel underlugs and a few other things for a very nominal price. Be sure to check it out, especially barrel breech and dovetails.

If your serious about building this gun you really need to buy a book that explains how to do it. Dick also will sell you a good book on the subject and I think he gives a discount if you buy the kit from him.

Now, after all of that, to answer your question in a simple way, a Factory kit like a Lyman or Traditions will take about 10--25 hours to put together and you will end up with a gun that is a little better than a factory gun.

A kit from PR, TOTW or the others will require at least 120 hours of work and often 160+ hours of your time. You will end up with an excellent rifle that is only available to people who can and will take the time to build it themselves or pay over $1000 to have a gunbuilder make it for you.

Thank you VERY MUCH. Like I said this would replace my CVA kit rifle AFTER hunting season (it will be my first season with a M/L so if I really like It I'm gonna go for it) When you ask Dick to do the little bit of extra work, does he cut the hole for the trigger? And The CVA kit was fun but I truly believe that I would have a much higher sense of satisfaction with a REAL Custom smokepole. And to get that satisfaction I would expect nothing less than 160 hours of hard work.

Thank you very much for your reply and if I post a picture around September/October of me my ML and a doe then I'm gonna have a new project!

I think Dick will cut the trigger slot if you ask him.

Actually, these guns go together in a definite order.

If the lock mortice has been cut, the lock and the barrels breech plug will tell the barrel where it has to live.

The lock tells the trigger where it has to live.
The trigger tells the butt plate where it has to live (to get the right length of pull).

If the lock mortice has not been cut, the barrel tells the lock where it must go. The lock tells the trigger where it must go. The trigger tells the butt plate where it must go.

As I said, Dick will charge a bit for his extra work but it will be done correctly and for some things it is money well spent.

Don't forget to look over the Gun Builders Bench.

I have built a J. Armstrong and just finished a Lancaster, both from Pecatonica, the first one took me a while, the Lancaster a little quicker, both turned out very nice, I was really pleased with Pecatonica, by all means order the book that they recommend. I also would have thre barrel breached and the sight slots cut and the underlugs installed, just saves a bunch of busy work, if you are good with your hands you can turn out a nice rifle, my next build is going to be a Tenn Mountain rifle in .32 cal., good luck with yours

Latest posts

Back